Parcel Force Customs Charges & Clearance fee

Guest Tiff

Well I've been waiting for my 30-338 reamer to finally hit our shores, when I got a letter from Parcel Force......The £23 VAT charge I don't mind so much, put PF have charged me £8 for paying this customs charge for me in advance!

This bugs me, since I didn't ask them to pay it for me. Why should I pay a company for doing something that I didn't request! I prefer USPS since these issues never seem to arise when posted through them state side.

So how do I avoid this almost scandalous charge!

Sorry rant over....but advice for the future would be appreciated.

Cheers Tiff

I have had goods posted with USPS and delivered via Parcel force and have always had to pay a £8 handling charge.

In fact I have a rather gorgeous Joel Russo stock sitting in UK customs as I type, I'm awaiting my letter for payment of tax/duty from Parcel force on Monday!

Tiff

it matters not which way I recieve goods from the states (USPS, UPS, FED EXP, POst Office) I get charged duty and "handling fee" every time.

Reamers are about $130 and when they arrive here, they stand me at circa £120 with current exch rate and duty.

Think yourself lucky you didnt have to pay my last import bill from Brownells for some tools - in excess of £400 :wacko:

Just glad I made the purchase when we were getting 2 for 1!

Anything sent by USPS in the States is delivered over here by Parcelforce.

The charge that Parcelforce add on can be either £8.00 or £13.00 dependant on how they feel that day. :wacko:

As far as I am aware you cannot get away from paying this charge. It is the same as a deferrment fee if you have an account with any of the shipping companies - they pay the customs charges up front and then claim the charges from you plus the deferrment fee.

Sorry Andy - you beat me to it. :wacko:

I get clobbered with these fees every time I bring things in from Foxpro or Dog-gone-good. You might get away with it if you are just importing the odd small item but not on large deliveries.

Been stung my self lads, you think your getting a good deal until some guy is standing on your doorstep saying that will be ?£ for delivery, it bloody stinks dosent it :wacko:

Sounds like I've been quite lucky on the whole then...First time I've been charged for either. I don't mind the VAT, but really do object to this handling fee! I don't understand how it is justified? I've already paid for shipping on the other side, so how come I get hit twice? I don't see why I wasn't given the option to arrange collection from customs myself?

The Parcel Farce handling fee charged depends on how the item was sent, if it comes from the USA as Priority or Express mail then they charge you the higher fee for their "premium" ;) handling service.

From the Parcel Farce Website:

If we receive a parcel from overseas for import customers, we will pay any Customs duties and taxes on their behalf to HMRC. However, we will require payment for this, together with our Customs clearance fee, before the parcel can be delivered to them. Parcelforce Worldwide charges a Customs clearance fee which helps cover the cost of additional handling, administration, collection of monies and provision of facilities for Customs clearance of packages.

We have two levels of clearance fee for import parcels. There is a charge of £13.50 for express parcels imported through the EMS (i.e. International Datapost equivalent) and GLS (i.e. Euro 48 equivalent) networks and also for high value standard parcels (valued at over €1000). For all other import parcels, an £8 charge will apply.

These clearance charges are only applied if a duty or tax is payable on the parcel.

We will also make a charge if we have to hold your parcel whilst Customs process it, so we would recommend that you respond promptly to any Customs queries to avoid these charges. We will not levy a fee for the first 10 days, after 10 days however, storage fees will be charged. For more than 10 and up to 20 working days, - £5.50 per parcel. For each subsequent working day over 20 working days - £1.35 per parcel. All parcels valued at over £2,000 are placed in secure storage until completion of Customs formalities.

Oh and when you go to pay your fee and collect your parcel don't give the guy at the counter any grief, it's not his fault.

Its quite obviously collusion between customs, and the couriers.

Years back, most stuff came through with no charge. Customs were losing revenue, hand over fist, so they obviously set the couriers on to deal with it. Now every parcel that comes in has to be delivered, so the couriers check everything, levy a fee, get their cut, and customs get their revenue.

The new sinclair catalogue landed yesterday, and its the first time in years i wont be ordering anything from it.

The exchange rate, and all the fee,s just arent worth it anymore.Even on stuff not available here....i will do without it.

I can only remember getting away without a customs charge once!.

As you say its a con along with other sneeky things like the recent abolition of refunds on unused road fund licence. Found that one out the hard way following a write off 2 weeks after taxing the wifes car.

A

Archived