Buying from Europe

TSG

Firstly this is not intended to start any debate around Brexit! 
Has anybody else paid VAT twice on goods ordered from Europe that are over the value of 135 Euros (the cut off point for VAT charging)? 
I ordered from Denmark and paid the VAT as the value was over 135 Euros but of course then got caught in the unavoidable pay the VAT before you get your parcel. (Parcelforce) 
I doubt if I can claim back the 17.25%  but somebody might have tried.

Thanks 

11 hours ago, condorman said:

Yes you can claim over payments from Inland Revenue website, Just download the relevant form and fill it in with any paperwork evidence and you will get it back via a check,

I done it once but can't remember which form it was - I hate old age🤪 

A check ?  Don't you mean a cheque ?  🧐

Apologies if your a Colonial, 😊

The exporter shouldn't charge you VAT if it is leaving the country.

VAT is charged in this country on the cost of the item getting to you (purchase cost and shipping etc). In your case it included the VAT from Denmark so you should pay UK VAT on that too. If the seller wasn't VAT rated then they'd have to (probably) pay the VAT when they bought the item and you'd still have to pay UK VAT on the purchase on importation

The problem here is not over charging in the UK but the exporter in Denmark over charging you. Overcharging by Parce Force for HMRC is reclaimable but you have to claim against the seller or Danish version of HMRC.