Toyota Land Cruiser 2015

Do you need to keep your foot on the brake pedal, and the ignition switched on while you're actually shooting?

Or have I misunderstood something?

Pete

I can spend near enough 3-5 hours driving about and as It’s got Drl + 3 Brake lights+Reverse lights..

The area i shoot is a little sensitive and Farmer hates to be woken up!

being called up around 2 a.m ..alerting him that they can see lights in the fields!

Firstly, I know nothing about the electric circuits of a Toyota Landcruiser....

Surely the lights that you wish to control operate though a fuse?   Take the fuses out when you don't want the lights on.

If that works, you could then get your auto electrician to inset some form of off/on switches into the car's wiring loom prior to or after each of the individual fuse circuits, which you can then operate from the drivers seat.

When you come to sell the vehicle you just unplug the off/on switches and connect the car's loom back to the fuse box.

There again that might be to simple....   best of luck in sorting the problem.

9 minutes ago, Yetidude69 said:

I'd be looking to replace my auto electrician if he can't do that... 

You need to consider the can bus system  recognising the rear lights are disconected and creating further problems  . a simple change of rear light bulbs to LED on a discovery  puts the car into limp mode its not always as easy as it sounds

14 minutes ago, Yetidude69 said:

I'd be looking to replace my auto electrician if he can't do that... 

I don’t think that’s going to happen!

He’s managed my 2005 easily..but these latest version have controllers on every light and being led lights..the same led also changes it’s function and colour to become a side light or Brake .or so it’s been explained to me!

1 hour ago, Dellboy said:

has it got a towbar ? if so pluging in the towlight socket may well turn the rear lights off as it thinks there is a trailer behind it , works on VAG stuff

Sorry and good job no tow bar!

I'm sure this could be done by connecting into the reverse light switch and brake light switch, I would use a latching relay, so when the ignition is cycled it resets, so you don't go off down the road with no lights.

My chaps pretty good.,

he’s managed the old one no issues..but this ones got LED lights ..with separate controllers on every light..eg bus control units ..Frankly far too high tech for me!

• maxtich changed the title to Toyota Land Cruiser 2015

FWIW I've explored turning the daytime running lights off on the new hilux, this was initially successful I thought by pulling the fuse, and yes they went off, however you then have the auto headlights to contend with that are still active! I would be interested in any fixes found as I would assume the systems in place on these two vehicles could be quite similar, waiting with fingers crossed👍

Since you’re asking..

And an update..due to my constant badgering ..he’s  successfully disabled  the Reversing lights 100 % with no issues.

Now he’s also managed to turn off the DRL ..but only if the light switch is turned on!

Not ideal... but it certainly is a step forward!

Hth

• 2 months later...
Just an update ..I thought many would like to know..
Well I’ve finally managed to get the brake lights turned off via a switch!
My first electrician didn’t want to risk messing about with this newer models wiring too much.. it would have been too risky/Costly had it gone wrong.
Got another electrician.. actually the original that did my 1st older 4x4 many years ago..
He managed to trace the individual wire from the controller going directly to the led bulb,and put an interrupter switch to it ..on both rear brake lights and it all works as I always wanted to.
The 3 rd brake light on the top I just pulled the connector!
It took a good 3-4 hours mind as a lot of the trims and bits had to be taken apart to thread the cables professionally.
I’m over the moon as I went out last night and got 1 Fox to just double check!