Rust removal/polishing Sako TRG bolt

Guest Tiff

My Sako TRG steel bolt has got a few spots of rust on the main body. What's the best way to remove them and polish up the bolt, without leaving loads of tiny scratches on it?

We get this stuff in any super market. Really good stuff.

tripeek website

edi,

Just had a look at that link. That peek stuff looks to be a 'top tip'. Never heard of it before. Which of their products is most useful for gun care? (and how are you applying/using it?).

Tiff,

Rust spots on a TRG? I've seen that several times (including all over a brand new folder put away slightly damp) strikes me as odd that a 'sniper' rifle has such poor/rustable finishes/material.

ATB

Matt

Chris, Matt

never heard of the autosol. (oil based?)

The peek is I'm sure water based and contains

I'm guessing around 3-10 micron aluminiumoxide powder.

I'm guessing because we made and sell a similar product

with a slightly finer abbrasive media.

Anyway we also use the peek to polish up injection moulding tools, remove slight rust

and maybe highly polish tool cores on the lathe.

I've even used it on very stubborn barrels. A dab on a patch and through.

polishes the bore. Not more than once a year though.

Also good for removing scratches on plastics. Mobile phone screens.

edi

Chris, Matt

never heard of the autosol. (oil based?)...

Anyway we also use the peek to polish up injection moulding tools, remove slight rust

and maybe highly polish tool cores on the lathe.

I've even used it on very stubborn barrels. A dab on a patch and through.

polishes the bore. Not more than once a year though.

Also good for removing scratches on plastics. Mobile phone screens.

edi

Sounds very much like Autosol which like Flitz is pretty well known amongst the US gun people anyway. As you say, good for polishing plastic and in fact I used it yesterday while fixing up a desk for my son. Took the stains/scuff marks off the smooth edge clashing very nicely.

As for barrels, here's something I once mentioned about Autosol. As suggested by the orig owner of TrueFlite barrels, I have used Autosol exclusively on the Krieger barrel in my NRA gun. The regimen is plaster Autosol over a rag wrapped round a worn .270 brush, give it say 8 strokes, use another one and 8 more strokes. Done. I only do this because I'm shooting moly'd projectiles out of it and don't use it on my std guns. Anyway, the proof of the pudding is the accuracy which has always been top notch. After more than 5000 -documented- rounds, it's still shooting under 1/2min and a borescope shows only the expected erosion/rounding in the throat. There is no observable wear on the lands further down the barrel so clearly it's not abrasive. The borescope also fails to show any copper. Guess you can't argue with that (he said, fully expecting a flood of criticism..) ;)

Chris-NZ

Thanks for the help. I've ordered some Peek off the net, so hopefully it will be ready when I return from uni at Easter. Then again if my feet don't heal (bloody horse!) I won't be returning to uni again before Easter break!

Thanks for the help. I've ordered some Peek off the net, so hopefully it will be ready when I return from uni at Easter. Then again if my feet don't heal (bloody horse!) I won't be returning to uni again before Easter break!

Arn't you supposed to be on the horse Tiff?????

Arn't you supposed to be on the horse Tiff?????

I don't even ride the things! After bring it up from the field, it decided to rear up in the yard and land with a hoof on each foot! I'm still stuck at home two weeks later, feet are a total mess. Imagine what happens when a v-max hits a fox...and convert that to your big toes ;)

As for the TRG's, I still find it strange that a sniper rifle should rust so easily. Could the bolt have a clear thin lacquer applied to it, to prevent this?

Hi Tiff,

It might be possible to get the bolt titanium nitrate coated, that should work rust wise and I would have it done inside also. One of the things that is good about AI rifles is they parkerize the inside of the bolt and firing pin. I noticed my RPA bolt could rust inside if left wet - emails fell on deaf ears after the change at RPA.

David.

Archived