Omega Seamaster, Titanium, Sword Hands - SOLD

I bought this in 2017, as the best existing practical alternative to an Omega SM300; the lineage is, to my eye, obvious.

Unmatched legibility and at such a practical weight that I've even worn it when twice, in recent years, training for and completing, the Devizes Westminster Canoe Race.

But now having a having a downsize, so selling:

Sword hand Titanium Seamaster (2231.50) rebuilt by Omega at last service (2016) with everything new (incl case) except face and movement.
So, at that time, almost a NOS watch.

Screenshot-20200728-163955-Whats-App.jpg

With titanium bracelet and both silver and black bezel inserts, box, last Omega service receipt (showing rebuild items) and purchase receipt (from Swiss Watch Co in London dated 2017) as well as receipt for second bezel.

Watch and bracelet in excellent condition. Black bezel insert has a scratch

These pics chosen as 'attention grabbers. More detailed pics if any interest.

Screenshot-20200728-164020-Whats-App.jpg

My preference would be a face to face sale (Warminster, UK) or by cleared bank transfer in advance. (Although, happy to consider any other equally 'bulletproof' suggestions, such as via mutual friends on here)

£sold

(I believe that's a fair price. If you genuinely believe I have the price wrong, open to rational and reasoned offers.)

Thank you.

Screenshot-20200728-164008-Whats-App.jpg

Screenshot-20200728-164035-Whats-App.jpg

14 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

It's very nice.  Are you saving up for a Rolex?

😉😁

😂 no. The type of people rolex market to today has changed since my youth, and I no longer identify with the brand - it's now more middle and far Eastern 'bling' than 'heroes and adventurers'; I've had 2 GMTs and 1 Sub over the years. No longer.  - actually bought this when I sold my last GMT as being a truer manifestation of -toolwatch'.

10 hours ago, brown dog said:

😂 no. The type of people rolex market to today has changed since my youth, and I no longer identify with the brand - it's now more middle and far Eastern 'bling' than 'heroes and adventurers'; I've had 2 GMTs and 1 Sub over the years. No longer.  - actually bought this when I sold my last GMT as being a truer manifestation of -toolwatch'.

🤔

I see your point with this. I have a seamaster and two Rolex sports watches  however  they are a considered investment. They outstrip the potential of firearms considerably and of course saving cash. However, I am not actually convinced now that much is worth anything. In the post Covid world will time matter much? For me I look at them and see a potential but if somebody gives me £25 an hour to do a job for them then I am happy. I suspect if I was in my 30s I would be well pissed off with it all! 

44 minutes ago, TSG said:

I see your point with this. I have a seamaster and two Rolex sports watches  however  they are a considered investment. They outstrip the potential of firearms considerably and of course saving cash. However, I am not actually convinced now that much is worth anything. In the post Covid world will time matter much? 

Bizarrely, I was just reading an article describing how the UK sandwich market has collapsed - the sandwich being an office workers way of virtue-signalling how terribly busy they were; too busy to eat properly... and, working from home, they're realising it was all virtue-signal pish.

I've become convinced that most watches below the sort-of 'Patek-level',  less for anomalies like milsubs and comex, aren't really realisable investments. By the time they're sold, , by the time you factor in inflation and sale charges, the real gain is marginal. And even at the Patek level, the value is actually rather 'emperor's new clothes'

On the modern rolex side; if the market ever cottons on to a 6 digit having no manufacturing or quality difference to a Steinhart ... it's more like a symbol for having been rinsed by a Swiss con artist for a mass produced watch.

So, personally, I like the idea of toolwatches for ' heroes and adventurers' , when I bought my 1st GMT, waaay back, when I was at Sandhurst, that's exactly what they were.  But now? I stopped believing😂

And that's why.... I only find watches I still perceive as being 'toolwatches' - such as this Seamaster - titanium, legible fat hands, loads of lume - interesting. 

22 minutes ago, brown dog said:

Bizarrely, I was just reading an article describing how the UK sandwich market has collapsed - the sandwich being an office workers way of virtue-signalling how terribly busy they were; too busy to eat properly... and, working from home, they're realising it was all virtue-signal pish.

Please could you post a link to this article - I've read some twaddle of late but this is one of the funniest in a while!

I won't get into the whole Rolex investment debate, although I'm inclined to agree with TSG on that one (and for the same reasons as TSG, I hope we are right).

Either way, yours is an awesome watch and it'll do a 4 or 5 digit man very well! 

Right... I'm off, the sushi is getting warm. 

Matt, you are quite right I think! Watches are just easier to hide than rifles form partners! Having worked in the City of London for 30 years the changes are remarkable ( I was there last week and it’s a ghost town) 

The very rich still have plenty of money to spend  on ‘stuff’  and the cost of a Rolex is not much to them, hence the rise of the watch resellers. Perhaps it’s just another way of gambling, which international trade appears to be. My submariner, bought in 1978 for £299 paid for the deposit on my first house!

On a more sober note I now think we are creeping towards a far more serious crisis in the UK which we have no resources to control. Both of us however will be able to tell the time! 

18 hours ago, Dr.T. said:

Please could you post a link to this article - I've read some twaddle of late but this is one of the funniest in a while!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/07/coronavirus-britain-sandwich-pandemic-lunchtime?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Samsung_Notes

I hasten to add; I'm not a 'Guardian Reader'; it's just that the app is free!😂

8 hours ago, TSG said:

Matt, you are quite right I think! Watches are just easier to hide than rifles form partners! Having worked in the City of London for 30 years the changes are remarkable ( I was there last week and it’s a ghost town) 

The very rich still have plenty of money to spend  on ‘stuff’  and the cost of a Rolex is not much to them, hence the rise of the watch resellers. Perhaps it’s just another way of gambling, which international trade appears to be. My submariner, bought in 1978 for £299 paid for the deposit on my first house!

On a more sober note I now think we are creeping towards a far more serious crisis in the UK which we have no resources to control. Both of us however will be able to tell the time! 

Ha! Yes - I think the investment angle for the 'normal' models is that they are a toy that doesn't actively depreciate - unlike all the other toys!

Just did some fag packet maths

I paid £1086 for my GMT2 in 1990.

Inflation alone makes that the equivalent of £2,400 today (a significantly better value proposition than today's models!!)

The same 5 digit watch today, secondhand, goes for anywhere between 4 and 7 thousand (the latter, more chrono24 'wishful thinking' than reality, I suspect)

So, inflation adjusted, a theoretical 'profit' of between £1,600 and £4,600 (for a 30 year investment of, at today's value, £2,400)....