Scammer alert.

Plecotus

Last week, I had a PM, responding to my 'wanted' post on here, seeking a K98.  It was someone using the handle 'Willon' on this board.  He told me his mate Frank, in Manchester, had one for sale.  He gave me Frank's email - donfranky546@gmail.com.

I emailed 'Frank',  The reply, which was written in passable language, was signed 'Don'.  He sent me some pics of the rifle.  When I looked closely at the pics, I was sure that some backgrounds hand been altered.  I did a search on the serial No and 'Mauser' and it came up as an auction-house sale in the USA.  All the pics that Don had sent me were there - but yes, the background had be altered in the versions I was sent.

Another email from Don, sayng he could ship the rilfe for £1,550, 'priority mail'.  I told him I have upcoming business in Manchester and would calll in to view and collect.  That was the last I heard of him.  Last night, I challenged Willon on this board by PM.....I see this morning he has either vanished from here or has perhaps just blocked me.  Either way he/she/it are clearly scammers.   I investigated 'Frank' a little further.  He's used that email address on a couple of shooting related boards in the USA, claiming to be in Florida a week or so ago.  Investigating the IP address associated with that email address suggests he's more likely to be in Washington state.  HIs IP address appears to be associated with SPAM on various, mostly US-based boards.

I did message admin on here but thought it worth letting everyone know that these assholes are among us.

Thanks for the heads up , your not the first. Its more common now a days - scummy w##kers...

• 3 weeks later...