people thoughts on moderators.

gsd14

afternoon

was just wondering whats peoples thoughts on moderators .

1-what make to buy and model.

2-which ones are lightweight .

3-which have most noise and recoil reduction. 

4-which makes models seem to last test of time.

looking foward to see what members think,  

im looking to build lightweight stalking setup .

thanks

Don't think about it too much, just buy a DPT over barrel and you're good to go.

The DPT mods are very light weight.

There's not much difference in perceived noise reduction between pretty much all the centrefire mods on sale.

It's stalking rifle so there won't be thousands of shots going through it like there would be for a target rifle - any mod on the market will last a long time if used on a stalking rifle.

Having said that, I'd avoid steel mods like the T8 because of their weight and the fact they can rust badly from the inside  forming pin holes, and also mods that can't be stripped for cleaning.

Cheers

Bruce

I have a dpt over the barrel model on a 6.5-284

I have a Atec hertz on a 6.5x47

I have a T8 on a 270

I would prefer DPT on all of them because it's the smallest and lightest.  I cannot tell the difference between any of them in terms of noise reduction nor felt recoil but it may not really be fair to judge this because of the difference in cartridges.

The other mod I would look into if I was looking for one would be Freyr-Devik

I have been incredibly impressed with the Freyr and Devik mods from Edinburgh Rifles.

https://www.freyr-devik.no/products

They are incredibly lightweight and very quiet indeed next to other mods (the larger ones more so than the smaller ones as you would expect). They also have titanium innards so they shouldnt rot away. We have two in our household (196 on a 308 stalking rifle and a 280 on a 6.5x47 PRS rifle) and I would consider another like a shot!

Have a look here ... Moderator test and Comparison

I like DPT. They are light, strippable and, by being modular, you can get additional baffles.I have several all are vertex chambered (over barrel) and all are "smaller" than cal specific. For example I have the 20cal on my .22-250 and a .22 stainless baffle and 6mm stack for my .25-06 The less radial clearance the greater the noise reduction is the rule of thumb. By this I mean that the 20cal baffle stack is a lot quieter on my .22-250 than the 6mm baffle stack which is also more efficient than a 30cal stack. You also can increase the suppression by having a larger expansion chamber, I have magnum chambers and additional baffles, which again was part of the attraction of DPT. The felt recoil is reduced and the MV is higher (by a few fps).

Freyer and Devik are good too, but are somewhat specific, ie you can't add or remove baffles. They are light (as are DPT) and they are strippable.

The pic is of my 'double magnum' vertex chambered, DPT mod, with a 5 + 1 stainless baffle stack. There is more moderator behind the muzzel than infront. This now sits on my .22-250 (with a 20cal stack) and does an excellent job of taming his loudness  ☺️

doublemagnum.jpg