How do you work up a load when there's no powder data?

Oly

I'm using Reload Swiss RS50 for 308win loads. I'm thinking about trying at bullet weights, but the data RS provide is limited. 

How do you safely work out the start and max load when no manufacturer data is available for the bullet weight your considering? 

Average powder weights between the data of the bullets weights that is avaliable? See what others online use? Contact the manufacturer in case they have unpublished data? 

Thanks in advance

Oly

What bullet weight are you intending to use?

The RS website lists loads for RS50 in .308w ranging  from 130gn all the way up to 240gn.

Thats a huge spread and choice. If your chosen bullet weight is somewhere in that range, then find the load data for the nearest bullet weight matching yours and work up slowly.

Eg, if you’re planning to use a 175gn bullet, then I’d use the load data for 180gn bullets, start 20% below max and work up. Bear in mind when using the same powder, you will normally load MORE powder for lighter bullets, LESS powder for heavier bullets. 

5 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

What bullet weight are you intending to use?

I'm considering 190gn.

I've a 1 in 10 twist and have been working up a 168gn load but thinking it may be better suited to a slightly heavier bullet weight for improved groups and reaching out to greater ranges (I'd like to reach over 1000m this year if possible). 

Well with that in mind, I’d try somewhere between the suggested loads for 180gn and 200gn.

Personally, if using LP brass (not the SR Palmer brass) I’d start at 40.0gn RS50 and work up 0.3gn increments from there. You’ll possibly find max around 44.0gn-45.0gn but don’t take that as gospel because each rifle/load combo will be different.

In my experience, the RS data seem fairly conservative (most data providers do, it’s a lawyer thing). Just be sensible, look for pressure signs (cratering then flattening primers, shiny spot on base of case from ejector, stiff bolt lift). If you experience any of these, it’s likely you’ve reached your max for your rifle. Don’t go any further, back off the charge to the best group/node below your max.

Good luck! 

Definitely contact RS, as this will cost you nothing and the more informations you have the better. If your going for heavier bullets you might be better off with RS62. I assume you’re  going out for distance with the fast twist rate and heavy bullets? If so, you can trawl though this site , there has been lots of guys giving there load data. Laurie Holland has a massive knowledge on FTR. You might also find it’s worth trying RS52 with 155/155.5 bullets?

Using RS 50 / 190 grain bullet  

start off with 40 grain and work up .2 grains at time to max of around 41.5 depending on the type of action ...and size of your balls you may get a little more . 
I have always found RS50 to be quite forgiving and will allow you to start quite high with your powder charge 

I would guess the 41.5 grains will give you around the 2500/2600 in a 24” barrel. 

I personally have always used RS52 for 179/185 bullets as does everyone else I know. 

RS 62 in a 308 win is bobbins , don’t waste your money it’s just not ment to be , ,   RS don’t even list it as a recommended powder for the .308 win ! 

good luck with it anyway.