6.5CM, RS62, overpressure signs.

MikeJ

12 hours ago, markymark said:

Hi guys. Hope I don’t mean to hijack the post. I’ll soon be working up a load for my Creedmoor’s in both 130 & 140gr. 

I’ve previously worked up RS62 42.5gr with 139gr to good effect. 

I was going to use RS62 because I have it in stock. However I have one barrel at 26” and one barrel at 18”. I assumed I would hopefully work up a load that would work on both. Accepting a lower velocity on the 18”. Not being a huge reloader I’m never sure which powders compliment what application. Fast vs slow burn rates. 

I’m toying with the idea / hoping it might work having one bullet / one load for all applications (across two rifles). Bullet being Sierra 130 GMK not being the best BC but good enough and can use for range and hunting. (Potentially also Sierra 140 SP)

Baldie mentioned N150 is better for shorter barrels. 

Do you think RS62 is realistic for my application or should I use two powders and two loads to get the best out of each rifle / application. Such as N150 / N160 or anything else for that matter. 

Slow burning powders work best with heavier bullets in longer barrels as the powder is given time to generate sufficient pressure. If the barrel is too short, or the bullet too light, the slow burning powder usually isn’t able to reach its full pressure potential before the bullet leaves the barrel.

You could give RS62 a go in your stubby barrel, but I suspect your velocity will be way down and you won’t get a full burn (sooty barrel).

Personally, I’d try N150 for the shorter barrel with heavier bullets. If you’re gonna try lighter bullets (eg 123gn) in the shorter barrel, then an even faster burning powder (like N140) is even better. 

A shooting acquaintance mentioned that a carbon ring can also cause high pressure...…. I wouldn't have the faintest idea whether I have a "carbon ring" 😰 or not...…… would it look anything like this? I have scrubbed with "Carb Out" and it remains in place so I'm not convinced! 1713795640_Bergara6.5CM026.jpg.d0a30f28b17cde51bcdde2396df61ac0.jpg

My last loading for the 6.5 creed. was using RS 62.  My rifle is an AW with Bartlein 1 in 8.5 very heavy varmint profile.  Work done by Baldie, (thank you Dave).

Start load with Lapua 139gn. Scenars was 43.0 gns 20thou off the lands, group 3/4 moa.  Moved to 43.6gns,

dropped to 1/2 moa.  Tried 43.9gns RS62. clover leafed.  I would have posted a photo had my phone not been nicked on Saturday night. 
No sign of any pressure whatsoever.  New Lapua small primer brass btw, loaded straight out of the box. Cheers J.

43 minutes ago, johnnyb0_1 said:

My last loading for the 6.5 creed. was using RS 62.  My rifle is an AW with Bartlein 1 in 8.5 very heavy varmint profile.  Work done by Baldie, (thank you Dave).

Start load with Lapua 139gn. Scenars was 43.0 gns 20thou off the lands, group 3/4 moa.  Moved to 43.6gns,

dropped to 1/2 moa.  Tried 43.9gns RS62. clover leafed.  I would have posted a photo had my phone not been nicked on Saturday night. 
No sign of any pressure whatsoever.  New Lapua small primer brass btw, loaded straight out of the box. Cheers J.

44 grains of RS62 and a 139 scenar the standard go to load , try it 👍