Burn Rate Chart?

pengo

Can anybody tell me where to find a burn rate chart, so that I can compare various powder types to use in my .17Hornet, please?

I've got a tub of Lil Gun to start with, but people have told me that this is a "barrel burner", so before I start to use it and add possible wear/damage to my barrel, I'd like to see what other options may be available to me.

I've got a CZ 527 Varmint barrel and will be using Hornady 20gr V-Max bullets, with Hornady once fired brass.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Paul

I hope that Lil Gun is not a barrel burner. I shoot it in the 5mm Craig wild cat and 22 Hornet -the latter of the two I have fired thousands of rounds using compressed charges of Lil Gun. If you want lower pressures at the sake of velocity, there are better powders for the 17 Hornet. (at least in the US) I have never used LG in a 17 Hornet.

Put to the point, beware of using "Relative Burn Rate Charts" for an across the board comparison. When burn rates comparisons are made they are done in a vessel which is sealed and pressures recorded. It is the same vessel for all powders. The practical result is that some powders act differently when put into cartridges. My favorite example is my beloved Hornet. If you look at H110 and Lil Gun on a burn rate chart, the Lil Gun is  faster. One might expect higher pressures as a result. In practice though, the reverse is apparent when you look at pressure data from Hodgdon: Lil Gun has very mild pressures compared to H110 with the same bullets. Just be wary and look for manufacturers data ahead of all else.

Frankly, I would just use Lil Gun and be happy. I don't know if youi can burn the barrel out of a 17 Hornet using sane loads.~Andrew

Archived