Nightforce or Zeiss scope

Seeking opinions on the Nightforce scopes compared to Zeiss Victory Diavari IR.

I curently have a 5.5 to 22x50 Nightforce on the 17 Furball and now looking for new scope on the 243 which will be main Foxing tool at night.

I find the nightforce OK but have heard reports that they are pants at night compared to other similar priced scopes like the Zeiss

Deerless

the nightforce scope if you have the 8-32x56 will only be good to 13x mag if your useing a fillter on your lamp a lot more if you take the fillter off ..i shot a fox the other night out to 196 yrds with the same scope and amber fillter on no problems ..if your doing just foxing at night try the 22x nightforce some say there better for night work ..

In the dark the NF scopes I have looked through have been perfectly adequate but Ziess has an undoubted edge, even the old Ziess scopes are optically better than the NXS in low light.

A

Zeiss are german, nighforce are jap....its a no brainer, and i,m the same as elwood, i,ve got 4 nx,s.

If you want to really sicken yourself, have a look through the giant 72 mil zeiss....that is some scope....it knocks the spots of the pm11.

Seeking opinions on the Nightforce scopes compared to Zeiss Victory Diavari IR.

I curently have a 5.5 to 22x50 Nightforce on the 17 Furball and now looking for new scope on the 243 which will be main Foxing tool at night.

I find the nightforce OK but have heard reports that they are pants at night compared to other similar priced scopes like the Zeiss

Deerless

I recently parted with an NXS because at night and in low light I didn't like it's poor light gathering ability. For daytime work, long range, dialling in corrections , it performed flawlessly.

European scopes tend to be designed and built to be used in the forest where light is generally poor. Like I said, the NXS will perform flawlessly, but it just didn't suit my needs for lamping or stalking, both almost always done in poor light. Thousands of happy owners can't be wrong, just wouldn't recommend one over a European for mainly lamping work.

Suppose I'd better put the helmet on now. :lol:

Pete.

I think you are right, the Ziess will allow you to take maybe 10% more shots that a NF/Swaro wont BUT given a reasonable amount of light on the target then NSX etc are fine. Ziess are only now getting into target turrets, once they get those sorted they should mop up.

I see some of you are fanned up by the 56mm Ziess and bigger. A while ago I compared by BGAT 7x42 Binos with a friends Nightowl 8x56 ones. In the dark there was NOTHING to choose between them, therefore I cannot see why Ziess cannot make a smaller lensed highish mag illum ret scope with target turrets. Maybe 6x24x50 or even 42. Perhaps they now do, I have not been onto their site for a while.

A

Spanner - Works

Swarowski do a variable to 24 power Z6 now.

and will be releasing a 32 power Z6 zoom in spring 2009......

Just a thought.

A friend of a friend is an optometrist so he should know a few things about lenses.

Had a good chat with him and he said I can get you a good price on what you want. I asked for recommendations and although not a shooter his answer was without doubt zeiss no matter whether scope, binocular or anything else.

Archived