European F-Class Championships

well done to all that took part ,and a big well done to greg ,on collecting this cup .. :blink: about time you won some thing ..joke

http://www.flickr.com/photos/762_photo/301...57608818944599/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/762_photo/301...57608818944599/

Well done Greg!!!!!! :blink::D

Some great shooting buddy!!!!! :D :D

All the best...................

RAY....................................... :D :D

Cheers Ray , I had to look on the site tonight as Rob told me he had altered the photo changing the cup for a broom and bucket !

Long rest from F Class now until the new year so time to concentrate on some proper shooting , Things a long way away and Charlie of course .

regards

Greg .

Well done Greg, fantastic achievment.

hope to compete 2009 season (although doubt I will be "competative") - i'll give it a go

Thank you guy's and if anyone wants to start the F Class please feel free to contact me as with most first time shoots it always helps if you know someone there . The more shooters the Leauge gets the faster the sport will grow .

regards

OSOK

Thank you guy's and if anyone wants to start the F Class please feel free to contact me as with most first time shoots it always helps if you know someone there . The more shooters the Leauge gets the faster the sport will grow .

regards

OSOK

I think the downside of that is the travelling involved, for me its probably 3 hours to Diggle and maybe 2- 2 1/2 to Bisley. I said I would have a go this year and have not had time but hopefully next year !!.

A

The travel time for you is less than that , 1 hour 45mins to Diggle & 2 hours to Bisley all from N'hants . The 2009 year will only be at these two shoots as Blair has been dropped until 2010 . The 2009 World Championships are being held at Bisley so nearly all of next years Nationals will be there . Make the effort once a month to do it , My main passion is field shooting as you know but the buzz of the comps and meeting up with the shooters from all over the country is something that i would hate to give up now .

regards

Greg .

It takes me an hour to get to your area !, I have a well worn Landrover remember !.

All right you are on but I only have my lightish 6mmPPC in a McClassic and hopefully 20BR in a more target orientated stock. The latter is now due any month soon!. Be interesting to see if the 20 lives up to its reputation, hope so. Both will be Ok for the shorter distances, have you ever had anyone miss the entire target with every shot !! Be prepared.

A

Congratulations

I must admit I wouldn't mind having a bash at F class, especially if there's a few people I know to help me, unfortunately I could only make it from Feb to July, and Diggle is a bloody long way from the South coast.

I must admit I wouldn't mind having a bash at F class, especially if there's a few people I know to help me, unfortunately I could only make it from Feb to July, and Diggle is a bloody long way from the South coast.

I was of much the same mind; until I learnt of the extortionate competition fees.

I forget exact values now; but, to put it mildly, they struck me as very very poor value for money.

Back then I did the maths and, to say the least, fees taken were significantly in excess of the Bisley costs.

I'd love to take part, but not if I'm expected to contribute to someone else's new custom rifle / car /ski holiday everytime I turn up!

So how much are the fees ?

Again from memory, around £100 per person -and you'll be sharing lanes with loads of other people and waiting for details.

For comparison, on a high season weekend, all day exclusive use of a lane at Bisley costs £70 and the marker £50.

...so £120 divided by "a whole bunch" of people somehow = £100 each :blush:

Even if you only went up with 2 pals and had all day exclusive use; it'd only work out at £40 each!

Considering the bigger picture:

Lets say you book 10 lanes and have 100 competitors; £1200 range hire cost plus, say, another £1K to cover additional costs= £2200....against £10000 entry fees.

20 lanes, 30 lanes, 40 lanes....they all show a significant delta against entry fee income. Even the 40 lane example yields a buckshee £4K.

Clearly my maths is 'fag packet' and likely to be full of errors or omissions, but the bottom line is that participation just doesn't add up as 'good value' to my mind.

[PS, I've no agenda here - I'm just a little disappointed -I'd participate if I felt it was reasonably priced :D ]

Apologies for my distracting wingeing opinion on costs; regardless, taking first place is a stunning achievement.

Congratulations to Greg.

If I'm honest, I can't remember with any degree of certainty; I do remember that a pal who -despite the arithmetic- decided to blow the money in order to take a look completed a Bisley comp -and only shot on one day.

I'm sure someone else will be able to answer definitively -and show me why my maths is pish! :D

As I said earlier:

I've no agenda here - I'm just a little disappointed -I'd participate if I felt it was reasonably priced :D

and again,

Apologies for my distracting wingeing opinion on costs; regardless, taking first place is a stunning achievement.

Congratulations to Greg.

Hi Elwood & Brown Dog , Thank you for your kind words on my finish .

It is important that people see the bigger picture into costs etc and i must point out that i have nothing to do with the running of any comp i just turn up and shoot ! The comp costs are all different , from memory i think Blair was £55 for 85 shots over two days including a 3 course meal on the saturday night and shooting on electronic targets , Diggle was half that cost for 68 shots over two days without the meal but you have to share butt duties . Bisley unlike the other ranges is Military owned with more restrictions . The average Bisley comp usually has a limit of 60 shooters ( except the European Event which had 120 shooters ) and i think its around £95 for 95 shots over 2 days including a 3 course meal on the friday night and for paid markers over two days . So for 15 lanes , which is 2 details of 2 shooters per target gives £5700 less sixty 3 course meals at ? and two markers per target at £35 each x two days is £2100 plus trophies and target costs as the standard Parma is not the 1/2 MOA V 's that F Class has to shoot . I'm boring myself now but i think you'll be getting my point . Please see the bigger picture over all the shoots rather than just picking out Bisley as you wouldn't view London for checking the average house price !

I think the comps are great value , its the hotel costs at around £55 per night that can bump up the costs but remeber my starting words ' we just turn up and shoot ' we can then get into our cars and leave someone else to sort out and tidy up .

Sorry for going on but i know field shooters make good F Classers and F Class will aid your field skills so give it a go , i will help anyone who is interested settle in etc .

regards

OSOK

PS. Elwood , My best friend is based at Crawley Down and he travels to all the comps .

Cheers for clearing up the cost issue OSOK, I can live with those prices. If my rifle is ready by the time the new league starts I might just give it a whirl.

Do many people use a bipod? I know it's better to use a proper bench-rest but I wouldn't like to spend that amount of money only to find out it's not my cup of tea.

What are the basic equipment requirements?

Hi Elwood , A bipod is fine to start with and a rear bag . Also consider a scope with elevation to get you to a 1000 yards and windage that might be as much as 25mph plus ! we shoot distances of 800 , 900 & 1000 yards in matches of either 2 + 10 to count or 2 + 15 to count or 2 + 20 to count pending time , weather conditions etc . There are also FTR comps which run at the same time as F Open but its restricted to 223 & 308 cals and they have there own internal comp but on the same day and same distances etc . As a field shooter you will have the other kit such as a good mat , waterproof gear and something to write your score etc .

regards

Greg .

Greg,

Thanks for your clarification; I must say, your maths and observations make rather more acceptable reading than mine! 2 days shooting and a sit down meal sounds pretty reasonable after all -I think I'll have to give it a go :rolleyes:

Archived