Think a new rifle is needed

kip270

I had a muzzleloading .58 caliber let go on me once. The breech plug blew out and mercifully missed my head as it swung right on the tang bolt before departing for elsewhere. I crawled quite a ways on my hands and knees, bleeding and blinded with wood and metal splinters in my face and eyes, before the Rangers got to me. (in -10F weather, no less!) I spent 5 days in an eye clinic having the splinters removed and was fairly blind for 6 weeks following. I did regain my sight and the rifle was retrieved and now hangs in my office.

I was wearing shooting glasses which took the brunt of the hit and to this day I have no clue as to what caused it to blow. Nor do I know if I got the deer I was shooting at! ~Andrew

Wow!

You've got to admire / wonder at the way he just chucks it on the ground and just goes straight over to get his pal on the beast!

The complete lack of reaction and the way everyone just cracks on makes it look like an everyday occurrence! :o

Didn't seem very experienced, a bit of buck-fever showing.

Then the twitt possibly left the clatter lying with a few rounds in the mag...

Christ Andrew, you were a lucky bugger. Those polycarbonate shooting glasses can protect quite a bit.

I think 15mm can stop a 9mm luger.

edi

Bet he had that gun over his shoulder for a while. Rain was dripping off his hat....bet he had a wet chamber.

I'd bet on plugged barrel; the burst is at the muzzle end.

Good advert for the action! That's the strength you need.

Blaser anyone?!

I agree. I've see several burst like that when someone has plugged the barrel with mud. The local hardware store has a Savage 300WM, with a barrel split in an identical manner, hanging above the counter. They use it for the annual Hunter's Safety classes for kids to show what will happen if you don't "mind the muzzle".~Andrew

Edi: Yes, I was very lucky.

Seen this on another site.

General consensus is...it was "staged"

And Yes...it is an "A-Bolt".

I love the part where everyone is all ready to take a shot at an Elk that isnt in sight.

And they are all set and ready to shoot offhand.

WTF ???

I never had one blow up on me....Thank the Great Spirit.

But if one did I doubt I would casually toss it away and run over to my buddy

like nothin happened.

There would be a few more choice words said first.

Along with a hike back to camp for some fresh CLEAN underware.

308Panther

Staged my *ss. That gun blew up. As to the elk, well, I can't see much past the end of the gun. There could have been an elk there and the poor resolution wouldn't have shown it. It looks like it was shot with a cell phone.

He was shooting off of a mono-pod, by the way. I shoot off hand all the time. Even at elk.~Andrew

Morning All,

Staged? Just rewatched it. Nope, that really is a rifle barrel bursting......

as to the casual 'crack on' reaction I mentioned; that's just psychology ....sensory overload/disbelief

...brain can't process the dissonance of the new information and cracks on with the 'known' until it catches up -bet he pooped himself 5 mins later :lol:

There is something odd fo sure, after something like that happening people would gather round the incident looking to administer first aid. They treated liek an everyday occurance, no problem, let someone else take the shot.

Here is another thought, the guy was using a monopod, shooting at a long range as well with it.

A

If I were one of the other two guys I would be watching that elk, not the shooter. By the time they might have looked they would only see the other two guys standing there or perhaps moving their direction with nothing apparently wrong except the lack of a gun! ~Andrew

Archived