Which 6mm BR dies?

british bulldog

I'm in the process of having a varmint rifle in 6mm BR built and now is the fun part of getting all the reloading stuff,

so which dies do you guys use or recommend?

It really is between Redding or Foster. The Redding delux set which is a full length,neck die and seater is about £68

or the foster FL with seater is £58 with a neck die a extra £30.

any advice would be great

Thanks

BB

Guest varmartin

You will not go wrong with the Redding die set...be it a comp or `S` type die set as both provide a changeable bushing to size the neck of your BR cases.

I have both sets and both make extremely consistent ammo ( do not confuse `consistent` with ` accurate` ) :lol:

With the BR being such an accurate round anyway......my choice would be the `S` type set....

I have no experience with ` Forster ` dies. so cannot compare them to `Redding`....sorry

Hi BB,

Im going to throw a spanner in the works haha,

I use forster dies from my 6BR, and i can second martin, consistent it the word with them, never run anything through a concentricity gauge but it'll shoot .3 all day with v-max's :lol: I should think its somthing to do with the case chamber on the seating die which perfectly alligns the case to the bullet! Not sure if the redding has that or not, as ive not had anything to do with them!

I always full size my brass, so i've never bothered with thinking about neck sizing. Dont really make much difference to in my opinion, still shoots bloody well!

They are very simple to use and once you have your lock rings sett jobs done, just get on with loading and putting one hole groups in paper at silly ranges :lol:

Good luck with the BR, you certainly wont be dissapointed!

As the lads have said the Forester and the Redding are very good, I have two set one redding and one set of RCBS, I have loaded from the two and found no difference.

But as Shrek has said I also full length and there is no case stretch at all.

I know one thing your gona be pleased with the round its a great tool.

And theres plenty of guys on here who have different loading data to give you the heads up.

What twist and length of tube you having and are you doing the job your self?

All the best NEM

I only buy redding competition dies personally. There was a set of forster ultra,s with the s/h grendel i bought, and i dont like them. They will be replaced with redding. The first niggle with the forsters, was the lockrings. If you tighten them down to the press top, in the correct manner, and then do them up...they lock the die to the press. Redding dont. Guess i,m just used to redding dies, and the way they work....forster are a lot cheaper if you are on a budget.

Glad you said that Baldie, i thought i was just being a silly bugger when i couldnt unscrew the die :o haha, as the lads have said there is better than the standard forsters however if you rifle is a standard, stalking/foxing/long range gun they are all you need, the extra cash saved can go towards a nice big piece of glass to go ontop of the rig!

Quick bit of load data for you:

(if your staying to 24inch tube)

87gr V-Max

30.0gr Vit N140

cci benchrest primer

2.240" COL

approximatly 2900fts which seems to be a sweet spot for the V'Max's

shoots .3 all day long out of my 1-8 twist boomstick!

Shrek

Forsters are pretty good ----if you can live with the sxxte decap pin and lock rings.

Waaaay cheaper than Redding (but given the chance), I would buy Redding Comp dies every time :D:D

Archived