What calibre

kip270

I have managed to pick up a S+B 8x56 scope, for a good price and now i am trying to decide what calibre rifle to put it on. (what an excuse for a new rifle :rolleyes: )

Now i already have a .222 and a .270, so something in between, i would like to use it for Vermin/Fox and Deer. My mate that i go Fallow/Roe/Muntjac stalking uses a .243.

Something that would be easy for reloading, or that i could get factory ammo easily.

25-06

243 ackley imp was my first choice. Granted you wont get facorty fodder for it but its a piece of cake to reload for. Its a cracking round to shoot as well. Moderates well and will take down all the species you mention.

Ads

243 ackley imp was my first choice. Granted you wont get facorty fodder for it but its a piece of cake to reload for. Its a cracking round to shoot as well. Moderates well and will take down all the species you mention.

Ads

ftw

AHPP.

If you have a .270 you need neither of those you mention as you would duplicate that already in hand.

The .243 as stated would be an excellent choice with easy availability of all ingredients for re-loading.

Don`t consider an `improved` as the benefit is small and extra hassle involved.

HWH.

6MMBR

i think he will struggle to get factory ammo on that one Elwood. :P And AHPP where does 308 fit in between 222 and 270??? :D and you can not get factory ammo for the 243 AI :rolleyes:

its a no brainer 243 all the way.

ATB

Colin :P

Thanks a Bunch, Funky Bunch.

I knew I was one of the oldest on the site but I thought the Stone Age was well before my time !

Anyone who needs an `improved` needs a bigger or more powerful cartridge.

Come selling or exchange time the standard will hold its value better.

Anyway Funky what are you trying to kill that a standard .243 cannot or at what vast distance are you performing that requires a barrel burner ?

HWH.

Funky. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and those who indulge in it are fools.

I am well aware of what can be shot with small calibre rifles having used .22 CF. rifles to kill even large Red Stags for those years in a country where perverse legislation occurred from 1972 to 1993.

Your reference to 100 yds. and a certain Club are irrelevant and piss-taking nonsense.

HWH.

Never had or never hankered for an `improved`but for some years over there I used a Vom Hofe Super Express, 5.6X61 cal. with its 77gr factory bullet , bowled Sika and Reds over like rabbits considerably in excess of 100yds.

Reloaded with the 71gr. Norma projectile [.228 dia.] it was just as deadly.

HWH.

whatttttttttttttttttttttttt,a 243 AI is far too close to a 270,am I missing something here,thats like saying a 22 rimfire is close to a 222

there is only 1 number 2's difference lol

If you look at your calibers logically your 222 will cover 45gn to 55gn bullets your 270 will cover 90gn to 160gn bullets that leaves the middle ground 55 to 90gn bullets so it has got to be a 6mm/243 which covers with the right barrel 58gn to 100gn game bullets.

6PPC and 6mmBR would struggle to be big deer legal in Scotland but brill’ for roe. 243 win’ has plenty of factory ammo and rifles, something different a AI or 6mm Remington, 243WSSM but all are reloaders only really.

If you are not a reloader you are left with a standard 243win.

Best rgds

B-b

I always thought that old man Ackleys reasoning behind improving the various rounds was that by altering the angle of the shoulder of the brass it allowed more powder into the case, giving a better performance. However with the advent of new and improved powders the advantages of an improved round were significantly less, and that as the advantages were minimal AI rounds were losing popularity. Is this not the case?

John

Performance increase is generally relative to the size of bullet being fired. Light bullets give biggest percentage increase.

Ackleys to me do look a nice purposefull round, maybe 8%-10% more powder will get you another maybe 200 or 300 fps depening on caliber etc. Increase in recoil and decrease in barrel life, wont kill things any deader, with range finders you may need another click or two for a standard case on the drops but with target turrets is that a big deal ?. Velocity is not the bee all and end all, accuracy is.

There is an artical in one of the mags this month about WSM cases, .243WSM with 100 grain bullets there is no benifit at all against a standard 243. And the resale argument against Ackleys is not unreasonable unless you are like me and hardly ever sell one.

That Vom Hofe express sounds one hot baby, crows nightmare !!. It shows what can be done with a tiny but accurate round in skilled hands.

A

Maybe a strange question, but why do you want something in between? .222 can take most small things easily out to a few hundred yards, and the .270 is a great deer round that can be lowered to fox for as far as you're comfortable with the trajectory. Have you considered going bigger? .300wm or RUM would be my choice ;)

Maybe a strange question, but why do you want something in between? .222 can take most small things easily out to a few hundred yards, and the .270 is a great deer round that can be lowered to fox for as far as you're comfortable with the trajectory. Have you considered going bigger? .300wm or RUM would be my choice ;)

What quarry species in the UK require either of those two calibres? Not trying to be picky, I just wondered.

Pete.

What quarry species in the UK require either of those two calibres? Not trying to be picky, I just wondered.

Pete.

Hmm, now you've got me! I'd say probably none, but then there's no harm in getting one anyway. Dead is dead, and a bigger calibre just reinforces your intentions ;)

Archived