Nosler Ballistic Tips

Oly

Just wondering how you tell the difference between Nosler's Hunting ballistic tips and Nosler's Varminting ballistic tips - as they both look the same on the web. ;) Or is it just down to weight, and if so where is the cut off between the two? :D

Just wondering how you tell the difference between Nosler's Hunting ballistic tips and Nosler's Varminting ballistic tips - as they both look the same on the web. ;) Or is it just down to weight, and if so where is the cut off between the two? :D

I thought it was on the colour of the heads, the ballistic tips being green and the hunting heads not (which means I can't remember the colour)

yea the colour is different calibers, green .30 cal, purple .243, dont know the rest. Cant really help you on the inital question however Oly, only ever used one box which i acquired, then saw the price to continue using ... so decided to use different cheaper bullets :D

The website has a section for varmint.

20, 22, 6mm &25 cal

6mm up to 80gr = varmint

25cal 85gr = varmint.

Not sure if there is any difference in the build of the boolit.

Just know that the 55gr 22cal holds together very well out of my 22-250.

The 165gr 30cal is as almost as soft as a hornady a-max.

edi

Thanks for that Edi - whereabouts did you read that?

I presume that there is a difference in the build of the bullets so that the varmints have a thinner jacket to explode more rapidly with less impact pressure required and the hunting bullets can be used on deer etc as they need more pressure to react - therefore you get better penetration.

varmint section

try that and at the left the hunting bt's

I believe a varmint bullet at slower speeds is a hunting bullet.

That's why the long range fellas sometimes use a-maxes for the long

range shots.

Maybe the bullet makers should recomend impact speeds for their bullets.

edi

You can see from here http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=3 that the two bullets are completely different as you would expect. They only mention in passing that the lead in the hunting bullet is different ( harder with more antimony ) and the case mouth is thicker too. How you tell which is which they dont say, but I would guess they are not both available in the same weights.

I have used 243/95gr, 308/150gr, and 270/130gr, all were very accurate and did not do excessive meat damage but killed cleanly, with reasonable weight retention. I have found though that using Hornady and Sierra flat base hunting bullets still gave outstanding accuracy and clean kills at a more reasonable price.

I do use Nosler BTs in the 222 as it likes them, but Vmax in the 22 250 and sometimes in the 17rem as they do well on those.

Redfox

Yes - I think the only differentiation is via weight too. For example:

6mm Varminting - 55-80gn http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b...;s=17&t=6mm

6mm Hunting - 90-95gn http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=5

I wonder if they purposefully don't make it that clear as there isn't a great deal in it?

Glad I wasn't the only one confused! :D

i think the 224 varmint ones have a orange head. or they do the silver tip ones in 224 like the ones used in factory ammo winchester silver tips.

I used to use the orange tipped .224 bullets and liked them a lot, however my wallet didn't and they priced themselves out for me and I changed to

Sierra Blitzkings which I found to be as good as the Noslers and a lot more consistent in length/weight than V-Max, also use Blitzkings in .243 on everything other than large deer.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add another question on ballistic tips... :D

Hornady's V-Max don't appear to make the same distinction between hunting ballistic tips (ie. for deer) and varminting ballistic tips(i.e. for errr varmints!). So...are heavy V-Max appropriate for deer, or are they simply a varmint bullet? If they are appropriate for deer - at what weights?

Again - thanks in advance.

Guest northernchris

V-Max will work fine for head shots,wouldnt use them for any other shot,best stick to useing "proper" deer type bullets and save the V-Max for vermin.

• 2 months later...
Guest magwa1962
yea the colour is different calibers, green .30 cal, purple .243, dont know the rest. Cant really help you on the inital question however Oly, only ever used one box which i acquired, then saw the price to continue using ... so decided to use different cheaper bullets :)

Green is 22 cal.

Archived