6.5 Grendel.

Had this calibre on ticket for some time now, and was initially put off because unless run slow, it wouldn,t extract from an AR15 platform. I,d almost given it up as a bad job....then shooting sports tested the new Armalon camming, cocking handle. This device will dislodge the case, as you grab it, and pull it backwards, and its bloody clever. In short, a lad came to diggle with one fitted to his grendel . He too, had been about to give up on the cartridge, then fitted this lever, and transformed it.

A chap at diggle was selling one, with 200 rounds down it, so i bought it, and a new handle.

Went to the range today, and tested it with two different powders, and bullet weights, and got to within half a grain ish off max, and only stopped there, as i hadn,t loaded any higher.I,m certain it will now extract over-max loads no bother, so its just down to load developement with it. Its a reknowned cartridge for being a stripey deckchair to get shooting tight, but i had it going around an inch today.a different powder, and i,ve just changed the shitty std trigger for a jewell, and i reckon it should go sub inch. That doesn,t sound great to most of us, but remember, this is an AR15....my .223AR only averages sub inch, most trips.

This calibre is specifically for going past 300 yards, up to 600 yards, in Practical rifle courses, where it should piss allover the .223 in wind [and its always windy at diggle]

here,s a few shots from today.

S4300585.jpg

S4300586.jpg

S4300592.jpg

Hi John, I got to play with a PAR MK1 a month or so back. PAR MK1 is a Cz version of the HK416. I was most impressed compared to a ZM 300 (POF) which I had previously played with. Before and after that I got hold of a AUG. Thinking about the AUG v PAR MK1, the word different is a fair description - not sure which I prefer.

Did you form any impressions of the HK 416 compared to a L85A1?

Apologies to Dave for going off topic,

David.

HK 416 was ok and it's main advantages over the M16A2 are firstly it's gas piston operated so no heat and carbon residue in the action and it's free floated so should be more accurate than a rack grade M16A2. Verses the L85A2 (not sure you meant the A1) I would prefer the 416 so long as it has decent optics and mounts (the S&B 1.1-4 x 20 and LaRue mount are actually mine not the HK(GB) guys) give a choice between an M16A2 and L85A2 I'd have the L85 any day.

I try not to shoot lefthanded around cover as I'd like to keep all of my teeth. :blink:

Accuracy and reliability wise the L85A2 beats the M16A2 hands down, AFSAM results for this year prove that yet again (it also beat the G36 hands down aswell), but it does have it's disadvantages so it's not perfect by any means.

I try not to shoot lefthanded around cover as I'd like to keep all of my teeth. :blink:

Whilst I, on the other hand, like to be able to shoot left-handed around cover because I like not to get shot. :D:D Catch my drift on the basic SA80 design flaw? :lol:

David,

I see that Aug talk is still there; stop it! Get one of those cz sig556-equivalents. Keep telling you, Augs are sh1te :lol:

Whilst I, on the other hand, like to be able to shoot left-handed around cover because I like not to get shot. :lol::D Catch my drift on the basic SA80 design flaw? :lol:

I see that you obviously don't like the L85A2; the term SA80 is generally only used by those people that are armchair professionals, on the other hand you maybe one of those professionals who never really mastered it.

I'll not bother trying to defend the L85A2 as it would be a waste of time. :blink:

I see that you obviously don't like the L85A2; the term SA80 is generally only used by those people that are armchair professionals, on the other hand you maybe one of those professionals who never really mastered it.

I'll not bother trying to defend the L85A2 as it would be a waste of time. :blink:

Oh John,

Harmless banter :D

the term SA80 is generally only used by those people that are armchair professionals,

The only people calling it L85A2 are the SASC and the TA. :D:lol:

And the only people that think it's great are the DPA and DLO ...and range users :D:lol:

Oh John,

Harmless banter :blink:

The only people calling it L85A2 are the SASC and the TA. :lol::D

And the only people that think it's great are the DPA and DLO ...and range users :D:lol:

You're out of date, the DPA and DLO disappeared last year, the are now the DES and have decided that the LASA8580A1A2 will now not be replaced until at least 2020+, there is even talk of a A3 version but I'll be long gone before that time. :D

Now if the HK 415 was to be identified as the LASA8580A1A2 replacement I might even start to practice left handed shooting. :D

PS: It's called the L85 thingy in the RN & RM as well as the TA and SASC.

John,

You've got me, my loggy speak (interest! :lol: ) is not cutting edge; DE&S it is.

If the RN and TA are calling it the L85A2 in common parlance; you've got me again, L85A2 it must be :lol:

Are the RAF calling it that too?! :blink:

"Lads, grab your L85A2s"

:D

Sorry, I was actually being a little facetious :blink:

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/support-weapons/1458.aspx

Back when the A1 was getting the press it deserved, the SASC wasted much effort attempting to get the Army to call it "The Rifle" as though that would somehow cure its ills.

"SA80" it remained (and remains :D )

The only time I've ever heard A1 and A2 broken out in common parlance was when the upgrade programme was en train; "He's in-date on his APWT" "A1 or A2?"

Archived