6-6.5x47

TC

I have a .308 boltface Sako 75 III action and a McMillan Sako Varmint stock sitting waiting for my choice of barrel and calibre.

I was planning 6.5x47 or a .260 but have pretty much decided to hold off and have a Surgeon/A5/heavy barrel built in the new year in either of those cals.

For the Sako i'm looking for a longrange varmint rifle that would not be out of place as a carry gun for deer or the ocassional dazzling performance on gongs.. yes, yes don't we all... At this point I would probably rather be putting my money in to additional toys as opposed to regular rebarreling.

I already have .223 and .308 and as above am likely to end up with a 6.5 next year.

So, what to do with the Sako?

My current thinking (feel free to correct me) :-

6mmBR incredibly accurate but would seem to need pretty stout loads for deer legal and tricky to mag feed.

.243AI interesting - I'm told "everyone should have at least one AI" I'm not averse to a tinker and have access to plenty of advice on reloading. Conflicting opinions on barrel life.

6.5x47 - other than the desire for something different, why not have two? ( or a 6.5x47 for this rifle and do the Tac rifle in .260 or .260AI.....)

I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the above however as per the title I keep coming back to 6x47 as being potentially a great allrounder - wide bullet choice, decent case capacity but efficient, small primer (i'm told thats good :) ), easy mag feed, easy neck down from Lapua 6.5 brass, low recoil etc etc. Is this the perfect compromise or is it too much of a compromise at everything ?

I've read a fair amount on here about the concept and a few having rifles built but very little about actual experiences - all input gratefull received !!

I'm starting to realise this is actually half the fun of having something built........

Cheers

Tony

From the experiences of people like Dave ( Baldie) the 6.5x47 looks a really good optionparticularly as the accuracy is exceptional and barrel life is not an issue, I think you would really enjoy one of these. He has just built one for himself and will I'm sure give you some advice on the way it can be done. Ronin has also built one and Col48 has also just been involved in one too and will also provide help .

Redfox

6.5x47 is an exceptional round for either purpose, however if you shoot larger deer you are restricted to max 130g bullets "realistically" with this calibre, so a 260 may be a better choice.

Ive personal experience of four 6.5x47's all of them shoot 1/4 moa easily and remain shooters now with several 1000 rounds down the barrel.

243AI, great, but watch barrel life, my own choice if this calibre were opted for would be a fast twist barrel, single feed and 115 bullets.

260 Rem , again wonderful short action calibre let down only by limited source of quality brass, however, cheap barss can and does work if "tinkered" with...

Personaly - 260 Rem for the Sako and 6.5x47 for the TAC rifle.

Just my opinion.

Oh and Surgeon actions are brilliant - all the probelms of the Rem 700 resolved :)

As you say 6x47 Lapua or the no turn version called the 6mm Hot looks very interesting.

Easy to form and very respectable performance have a look here

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek073.html

and here

http://www.6mmhot.com/

Great performance with the 105 range of bullets and read on the 6BR forun of guys getting around 3400fps with 87gn Vmax :D

Neil(Dasherman) has a reamer, I'm thinking of going down this line as my RPA in 6BR needs rebarrelling and I have a 8 twist Kreiger barrel on the way so watch this space ;)

Cheers

Dave

Loads of good, honest, user, used info there buddy. The 6-6.5 x47 is great, but it will have the shortest barrel life of the lot, as compared to the 6.5,s its overbored. I,ve not owned one, so cant speak from personal experience, but if i was guessing, i would reckon somewhere near the same as a .243 run hot, and lets face it, if its anything like its parent the 6.5, it will need to be run hard to work .The 6.5 doesnt start working well till it gets to the 2900 fps mark.

If you go for a 6.5x47 don't go for the 6-6.5x47 you will have an accident sooner or latter. just to much of a risk to stick the 6.5 bullet up the 6x47. other wise i would have a 6.5x47

the 243 AI is a fantastic round for charlie, and very very accurate. you would not go far wrong with one of them, i personally shot all 5 fallow with one this week end,

witch ever way you go just make sure you have one of the 47s brass did suffer for a wile with quality,but it seems to be under control now, i do virtually no case prep with mine and they shoot better than i can.

Baldie will give you some good info on the 6.5x47 as i believe he shoots one his self.

ATB

Colin ;)

I will be watching this thread closely, as I too have a Sako 75 III in 22.250, but as I now have a 22 BR, I'm looking to do something with the 22.250, I like the idea of 75-87 grain bullets doing 3400 fps +

Let us know what you decide on Tony and why.

this is copied from 6mm BR

I can officially declare the throat of my 6X47 Lapua shot-out at 1675 rounds. My load has been 39 grains of VVN560 and Berger 105 VLD's at 3075fps.

For the last 700 rounds, I have been chasing the lands about every 100 rounds, although I changed bullet batches in there too.

My summary is that it was a difficult cartridge to keep accurate and it was extremely picky about powder. Too bad RL-17 isn't available up here in Canada yet. When I got it working, it worked very well indeed, but I have fists full of hair in my range box...

Not sure I will chamber in it again, but if I do I would not go with the .275 neck that the Whitley (6mmhot.com) designed reamer specified. Too sloppy for the the amount of turning the Lapua cases needed to uniform their wall thickness.

i would have thought about 50% less barrel life for the 6x47 probably about 1200 to 1500 rounds

and i would have thought 2000 to 2500 for the 6.5x47

but this would not make any difference in my choice as i believe a barrel is a commodity and should be used to its full potential.

my rifle has not yet suffered the same as above quote, my rifle and reamer seems to shoot anything i have put throw it.very very little load development.

ATB

Colin ;)

Thanks all - some great info in here.

As I like to plink away a fair few rounds I suspect the comments on barrel life are steering me away from 6x47 and back full circle to where I started my thinking - 6.5x47!

All other info & advice still gratefully received however I can see Northern Chris muttering "I f*ckin told you so" now ;)

Cheers

Tony

Guest northernchris

:lol:;):lol: My gob is well and truely shut :D

OR you could be the 1st to have??

The one on the right is a 6.5 x 47 Lapua for comparison.As you can see capacity wise the wildcat should run another 7%-8% more powder.

IMG_0148.jpg

:lol:;):lol: My gob is well and truely shut :D

OR you could be the 1st to have??

The one on the right is a 6.5 x 47 Lapua for comparison.As you can see capacity wise the wildcat should run another 7%-8% more powder.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/nor...is/IMG_0148.jpg

I can't see the pic but I am assuming this is the stripey deckchair child of Mssrs NortherChris and Vermicinerator ?

Not sure I want to be first over the top ..... :lol:

That said in my industry we offer big discounts for Beta testers and serious bribes to Alpha testers :lol:

TC

Guest northernchris

Hi Col

Its .22-250 Ack Imp necked up to .264,the reamer is getting made as we speak,it will have a slightly different shoulder angle and neck length so the final round will differ slighty from the one in the picture.

IMG_0148.jpg

Its nICE is'nt it :blink: It can be formed from 22-250 or 250 Savage cases and preliminary calculations show that it will equal 6.5x47 Lapua ballistics at a lower pressure.

Case capacity is 51.5 grains of water as opposed to 48.7 for the Lapua case.

Of course only actually testing will give a true account of the cartridges performance :D .

Ian.

Guest northernchris

Hopefully will have a test on our hands in the next few weeks,I am, sure Tikka will lend me his 6.5x47 and ive got a Surgeon .260 floating around that could also come and play ..........not forgetting my old Swede just to drop an olde in the mix.

Hi

what weight bullets are you planning on using? All so what shoulder angle ?

I know PTG do a 6.5x250 reamer, so i would assume that the AI version would have been done, but i must admit i have not heard a lot about it, Probably because it is very very close to the .260 rem AI.

But would not this round you are planning be a or very similar to a 6.5 Creedmoor (53grs for case capacity)All so i think the creedmoor is going to be using one of hornady's own powder mixers.or The 6XC and i believe both are based off the 22/250.and then there is the 260 Bobcat which i think is based on the 6.5x250.

wile i have not used the 6.5x47 i do believe you have to run it quite hot to get the results, i think i have read about 2950 seems to be the magic number, (could be wrong,i normally am) so yours should be interesting.

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

Guest northernchris

Col

If you go back to the old thread where this was posted and note the date,3-4 weeks after the Creedmore published pics/details of their new round :rolleyes:

Sods law springs to mind.

Shoulder is steeper than the .250 ACK with the neck length REDUCED by a wee bit ,to gain more capacity.

6xc is .22-250 case in a shorter format,reason i know this as we have a Tubb 2000 in 6xc which i load for.Its sitting here waiting for me to chamber the spare 6x Internationl into 6xc.

Bullets Anything from 108gr Scenar-139gr Scenar and hunting bullets in-between.Reamer is not throated as i will set/cut the throat to suit each job.

Col

If you go back to the old thread where this was posted and note the date,3-4 weeks after the Creedmore published pics/details of their new round :rolleyes:

Sods law springs to mind.

Chris

please have a look here, and please note the date at the top of the article

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/...moor-cartridge/

ATB

Colin :angry:

Guest northernchris

Interesting find Col :angry: Well there you go November 07 ay,it would have been nice to see that back then!!! never mind no big deal.

I spose it isnt the same as what we have come up with,all said and done its nice to try and do different things :rolleyes::angry:

Take it you wont want to try the reamer then??

Interesting find Col :angry: Well there you go November 07 ay,it would have been nice to see that back then!!! never mind no big deal.

I spose it isnt the same as what we have come up with,all said and done its nice to try and do different things :rolleyes::angry:

Take it you wont want to try the reamer then??

Hi Chris

What degree shoulder you going for??? As i first read about the creedmore on 6mm BR, and i have managed to find the article or one like it,

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6m...highlight=5x250

I think i read that you have to watch the shoulder angle as you could have feeding difficulties, but i suppose you spoke to Dave kiff at PTG (i take it that's where you are getting the reamer made?) Any way have a look at this article it may give you some start points for your loading.

It does not make any difference who made the wildcat,just that it works and that it does what you want it to do.

AS for borrowing the reamer, i have no plans just yet -,but thanks, if you need any just let me know

ATB

Colin :lol:

Archived