Newbie advice & Hi!

smudge100

I'm after a bit of advice regarding .22lr guns & ammo -  Up till now I've been a 100% lead spread chap but need something now to pick off bunnies and squiggles up to around -60+ yards....I'm thinking something USED, semi auto, good optics and silenced -also very reliable,  durable and preferably english manufacture?....is that too much to ask?.  Budget wise around £400 . Any pointers and views greatly appreciated. Cheers

Welcome to ukv smudge.

Forget semi autos unless your going to use HV ammo.they don' really function reliably on subsonics.

I have a CZ 452 22lr.variale power scope.a sak mod.i always use subs.buy several different brands of subs and see what your rifle likes.i used to run eley extra hollows for approx 12 years in it that were extremely accurate.theyve changed something now and there crap.i tried a few different brands and Winchester 42gr subs shot the better but not as good add the old eleys.i have found you get the off cracker with winnes.

I hope this helps.

Atb No I deer

Welcome.

Google rimfire magic they should have all options and will give you very good advice. I get on ok with subs through a custom 10/22 they supplied me if its really a semi auto you want. I like it but in hind site a bolt action would have done me fine and as above the CZ is a good one.

With that budget (£400) i would certainly go 2nd hand, bolt option, European, moderator, you may be lucky and get a European scope but a leoupold/ Nikon would be fine. forget the variable power.  

fixed power scope would be fine as the variable power adds value to the scope and you should use that value on the glass. So a better make with fixed power would be my choice over an inferior make with variable power.  presume you will often be shooting first / last light with a gun that is suited to 50 to 60 yards

Sam

Look no further than the Browning Buckmark for sale in the ads. They are very accurate, reliable, and function perfectly with subs. great little truck gun.

Just checked Rimfire Magics site and they seem very thin on second hand gear? They always used to have a fair bit of stuff ? 

If you can find a few extra quid for a scope sounds like the browning ticks all the boxes

Archived