Recon....as in Reconnaissance......

It's what they call the scope. Others in the line have names like 'Terminator', etc......

Thanks for the clarification................the Romanians probably don't have a word for reconditioned.

Re-Pete

If you want some insight into how good IOR scopes are. read Richard Uttings reviews. I have a Crusader FFP and the only thing I would swap it for at any money would be the same but with MOA ret. However very heavy!

Nope, I wasn't trying to be funny. Just struck me as an odd word to use for a brand new riflescope.

My recently acquired IOR is simply called 6-24 x 50 MOA, and is also a cracking bit of kit..............

Re-Pete

That is a tremendous bargain for somebody - I have a Recon and the glass is excellent

For anybody looking for some new glass I see that Optics Wharehouse have 10% off until if you sign up to their mailing list - So that is a new Recon for £1800 - not the bargain above but still £200 off 

just the latest thing with more internal adjustment than older PM2's I have four IOR's fantastic scopes but not as refined as S&B's Imho

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, onthetin said:

Out of interest is the PM2 not rated as highly as the IOR recon

The Recon (and the other IOR scopes) show the PM2 5-25 up quite badly.  Have a look at the Sharp Shooting UK you tube channel where there are detailed reviews.  The PM2 is a fine scope - but it is now dated and showing it's age.  I echo Richard Utting's comments - you couldn't pay me to have a PM2 over an IOR.......

Paul

I think that is a fair push and no, the review is not gospel and neither is (even remotely) my opinion but, in advance of Erics's response,  here it is

First off - I have a Recon and now a Crusader - and no PM2 so this is very lop sided opinion

The glass is excellent alongside my Swaro X5 and Z8i, Nightforce NXS 8-32, and March 5-50 scopes

I found this precision rifle blog detailed research interesting on top of the more cheer leading / opinion based Utting/Tiborsaurus youtube posts ..

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/ - see summary chart below

Lets be clear - the PM 2 came first in the test !! - but when you look at the results the Recon scored best in tracking and 2nd best in tracking plus optics - second only to the hugely expensive hendsolt. It loses out on features due to a lack of reticle choice I believe.

My logic was that:

1, The tracking is key to LR performance and the only wholly non subjective criteria

2, Can't argue with Schots glass

3, Happy with the reticle - think it is actually very good including floating illuminated dot

4, Much cheaper than PM2 and with free tier one mounts - I have a strong sense this is driven by a low (Romanian)  cost base and restricted product offering focused on 'function over form' rather than cost cutting coupled with S&B taking the piss on pricing like a lot of the big brands from the likes Beretta and Nightforce down. (See the new Polish Delta scoped btw)

5, My Brother has a PM2 and a, we try to get different stuff for fun and b, I always like to think I have the best gear so I obviously hereby accept my credibility is pretty tenuous  :lol: but I have played with said 5-25 PM2

6, I also have heard some of the reliability issues with the PM2s and wonder if this comes with trying to offer too much variety of product over build quality

Having bought the IOR's I am happy and love the bank vault build quality but would say:

1, They are very heavy and I am happy to have a March on my Dolphin/BAT/Proof custom and Swaros on my Blasers - These are AXMC and TRG fodder for me

2, Not pretty - utilitarian - see point 1

3, Richard Utting likes the fussy paralax/focus to get the best out of the optics - I am less keen personally

4, Given the non life and death nature of use I am sure the choice between the two is well within the personal taste/whim confidence window

5, The Crusader 5-40 FFP is even better and still well cheaper than virtually any PM2 - but points 1-3 apply x2

Any way - there is a detailed non-answer to your question :wacko:

Cheers

Tactical Scope Reviews Ratings

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

Have you ever used one Eric side by side with an IOR or are you taking a video review as gospel?

Yes, used side by side.  I bought a Recon and used it alongside a PM2 - the PM2 has now gone - and it was not a difficult choice.  I now have a Crusader as well and have no regrets.  I am interested in the new short form PM2 and will look forward to testing that against the Lutaz.

Archived