Whats your Favorite Knife

nemasis243

I seem to be getting great responce from these "Whats Your Favorite Posts" . I think it gives people a good insite of what to buy or what to stay well away from :excl: , as it showed in the Footwear section :lol: ,

Heres another one for you guys,

What Your Favorite -KNIFE, wheather it be the tool you find best for doing a Deer grollach or just general bit of kit you keep in your pocket when out hunting,

Myself like many of you have a fair few to choose from , but I can narrow it down to about 5 that I have

A Frost Clipper Sheath knife, with a carbon blade,

An Opinel wooden handel folding pen knife.

And a Buck Sheath Knife with a 6" stainless Blade,

And a hand made folded carbon steel, sheath knife which I made my self.

I must say I do prefer the carbon blades as you seem to be able to get a much better edge,

Anyway Lads what Cuts your Cloth?

Cheapo frost, with the green plastic handle and sheaf, very good blades stainless or carbon, they hold there edge well and it dont break your heart if you leave in stuck in the ground in a wood over the hills and far away! there probably is better knifes out there, but for the money they cannot be beaten!

Cheapo frost for me as well but I have the blue and stainless ones.

I think the blade is not full tang though as I was going through a red rib cage with one when I forgot my saw and was using a cleaver as a hammer. The handle has a crack now on the lower side but as I buy these in 2's this one has been demoted to rucksack spare.

Also have in Opinel but..........

If you wondered where the name came from, get the handle soaked as I did you haven't got "anhopeinhell" of opening it. Broke a few nails and then resorted to a screw driver and pliers.

Also have a Buck folder and that is a good skinning pocket knife for rabbits etc.

I have a fair few knives I have gatherd over the years, including a had made 01 tool steel bladed knife that I have recently decided to stop keeping for best and just use it.

Normaly I carry a Buck Omni as my main graloching Knife. I never used to be a beleiver in gut hooks until I saw one used to good efect on a roe buck.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=...;productID=2889

I also carry a Gerber gator as a spare and to open the cheast in the summer months.

http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=6079

I also have cheep winchester sheath knive that stays at home but to be honest it takes a good edge and is good to work with.

http://www.sloblu.biz/Winchester-Knives-Wi...le-GB&id=uk

I have a gerber Freeman hunter but to be honest I am not all that keen on the profile of the blade it is to blunt tipped but like all gerbers takes a good edge. It is good for skinning

http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=8464

Dave

My favourite knife for field use has to be the Falkniven F1. It holds a serious edge and can handle anything. I watched a destruction test on youtube of it's bigger brother and you wouldn't believe the beating it will take! Check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x9CZ6iPj5k ....and watch the series if you can be bothered. Shocking!

Opinels are good field knives for a fraction of the price. They have very good steel in them IMO.

Eldon, a tip for you. Don't struggle with opening it if it's wet. Hold it horizontally with the blade facing down by the metal lock ring, and belt the blade tip end of the handle downwards onto something solid. The blade will free itself enough to get it out fairly easily, and you wont break a nail (you big girl) :)

Up until recently I had been using a Buck Crosslock,but,I unfortunately mislaid it in the field somewhere(well it was camoflagued LOL).I now use a knife that was made especially for me,with my help in the blade shape(design).A chap on the 'Moochers' website made it for me,and,if the mods are happy for me to do so,I will post a thread that he made for me of the complete build.Here is the finished knife.................

DSC_0001-8.jpg

As geneal bits of kit, Leatherman Supertool is always in my ruck when shooting and Spyderco Military is my EDC and always with me - light and very good S30v blade - but knike laws are not stupid here.

David.

NJC thanks for the tip but seriously it wouldn't have worked.

I'd been rabbitting for 2 days and was absolutely soaked both days with the knife in my pocket. 2nd day the knife was useless due to being unable to open it.

Ended up selling the rabbits to pay for the manicure :blink::D

sitting here replying to this with five stitches in left thumb too embarrassed to tell you how suffice to say the person who said your better off cutting yourself with a sharp knife obviously never did :rolleyes:

p.s have a good selection of knives buck, puma, frost,ka bar prefer the puma but for the money frost are hard to beat

I've got about half a dozen Frost knives, such good knives for the money, in my opinion just about the pefect knife for gralloching deer,ideal blade size, safe grip, keep a nice edge, cheap! I did treat myself to a handmade knife from Bison Bushcraft a few years ago, a really lovely knife with a linen/micarta handle, don't use it that much in case I lose it.

I use a small folding Gerber knife for paunching rabbits and hares and keep a Leatherman in the bag in case of any Macgyver moments! Got an Opinel in a drawer which I managed to stick so hard into my knuckle it bent the tip of the blade over, should have paid more attention in scouts when told to always cut away from yourself :rolleyes:

Guest Baldrick

Fallkniven H1, backed up with various Opinels, Spyderco folders and Leathermans (Leathermen?). As NJC says about his F1, Fallkniven knives are seriously tough, and mine seems to hold an exceptional edge.

I have a 4" stainless chinese cheapy that I bought in the states for 5 USD.

I reshaped the edge to my liking. It holds it's edge really well and will shave.

Great steel, 100 times better than the junk steel used my german herbertz knifes

Who said stainless isn't good as a blade??????

what are razor blades made of???

edi

I have had very good luck with a SOG Seal pup and I also own 3 fallknivens (F1, S1 and WM1) and 4 cold steel (Outdoorsman, pendleton mini and pendleton hunter, gave a Master hunter as a present, and a cheap finnbear) and an Anza miniature skinner. The frosts are always there for back up. Fallkniven is the prettiest and indeed the sharpest! That said, I have also an old Issaaki which must be carbon steel as it discolours, but you can cut bone with it and it still shaves you after! Pitty about the blade design.

By the way: if you want excellent service and a very good price on knives try www.theknifetree.com. John (the proprietor) is a dedicated hunter, a very nice chap and very accomodating. If he hasn't got he'll find it and the price is stunning. I have had most of my knives from him and I cannot recommend him enough.

best wishes,

Finman

Archived