fireforming

Orka Akinse

hi

just seat the bullet hard in to the lands and make sure you have a good stiff charge of powder, make sure you use powder charge for parent case,not fire formed case.

you will find that they will shoot well enough to use on charlie or what ever,so you will not be wasting the rounds/time

ATB

Colin :excl:

I have necked down 308 to 243 and thats quite easy

I use imperial sizing wax, lubed the outside and very lightly inside the neck on the 308, put through a 243 full lenght but if it feels too tight which it may, take out, trim length then repeat and trim again (it may take a couple of trims before proper sizing has taken place

I also played with 243 lube more inside than out up sizing them to 308 with no probs if you use new or once fired, I tried some that had been fired a number of times just to see if they could tollerate it but they split

with all my full length sizing I do I use a caliber specific mop lightly lubed with wax for the inside of the neck

does that help or sound a pile of poo?????????????

necking up say 6mm to 308 often leaves the finished case slightly shorter than saami col spec but will grow with firing

I want to know how to fireform cases silent and how to change a case e.g. .308 to fire a 6mm or whatever. Also how do you "neck down" a case?

hi

you asked about fire forming,not necking down, 2 completely different operations,maybe you should take Andrews advise

ATB

Colin

hi

just seat the bullet hard in to the lands and make sure you have a good stiff charge of powder, make sure you use powder charge for parent case,not fire formed case.

you will find that they will shoot well enough to use on charlie or what ever,so you will not be wasting the rounds/time

ATB

Colin :excl:

Agree with Colin, but just to add it's best to start with virgin brass

Steve

Cheers silent.

Colin / Andrew I've been loading for close on ten years albeit standard rounds from .223 up to .308 an guess what :excl: I got reloading books and I can't find where it tells you how to either fireform cases nor have I found where it tells you how to neck down. These things are regularly discussed here from the Balisticians amongst us and I was wondering how you do it.

As I said in my original post I have never needed to do it and I still don't but I may need to do it in the future as I look to other calibres.

Now I might not have articulated fully what I wanted but comments like

Maybe you should pick up a book on reloading? ~Andrew

Keep to yourself would ya?

I thought there was no such thing as a stupid question? Seems there is to some.

Cheers again silent, when I figured out what I need to know I'll Pm ya if thats alright?

Don't get too upset Orka I think the confusion was caused by your question not being too well defined and mixing two different aspects up. Your question appeared to come from a novice and I'm sure the posts were erring on the side of caution. :excl:

I've loaded for about 6 years now and not needed to fireform or neck up or down so at least the responses were useful to me and no doubt others besides yourself. So that makes it not a stupid question in my eyes. :lol:

Orka: You asked a few questions, I gave advice. No one here said you'd asked a stupid question, did they?

I have been loading for about 40 years and I can tell a person who has read little or nothing about the subject by the kind of questions they ask. The first operation in reloading is to read something on the process; that's not advice pointed just at you. It is for everyone. Get your hackles down, dude... ~Andrew

Orka Akinse I'm sorry you have taken mine and Andrews advise the wrong way.and i apologize if it came off sounding like we where not prepared to help you out.

and you are correct that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

now in mine and Andrews defence

the title of the post is fire forming,fire forming cases now that has nothing at all to do with your actual meant question that was necking down a 308 to a 6mm, now to me this is a not for novices to mess about with,(could be very dangerous if not done correctly)and I'm afraid you came across as a novice.

but again i apologize.

ATB

Colin :)

Orka,

A case is automatically fireformed when it is fired in a chamber, i think the fireforming you have picked up on is fireforming standard cases in improved chambers of various kinds and calibres.

The fireforming in this instance has the parent case take on the shape of the improved chamber which usually has a steeper shoulder angle and less body taper.

Necking up and down operations are a completely different aspect of handloading and are usually utilised when no suitable brass is available for hard to get or obsolete cartridges.

It will also be used for necking down or up where a different cartridge is to be made from a curently available case, ie 6mm-284 where the 6.5-284 case is necked down to take a 6mm bullet the same applies to the current favourite case the 6.5x47 Lapua this is necked down to create the 6-6.5x47 lapua or the 6mm Hot.

Going back to the 6.5-284 case this began life as the .284 which is a 7mm calibre but many shooters searching for superior brass are necking up the 6.5-284 to 7mm in order to utilise the available quality Lapua brass.

There is little point in necking up or down for popular cartridges such as the 243 and 308 as earlier mantioned when quality brass is available for both unless of course it is something you enjoy doing or there is some benefit to be gained from such an operation.

Ian.

Many many thanks Ian and Eldon thats just what I needed to know. You wouldn't know where I might find a detailed step by step guide on how to do it would ya?

Andrew

Its time to call it a day on this and no hard feelings by me to anyone however, my observation of your response could be explained like this:

There was something I did not know and I wanted to know so I asked the question(s) and yes in this instance as I have never fire formed nor have I "necked up or down" I am a complete novice in this area of my reloading experience. Now I think having not articulated the question in the right way maybe forgiven?

Your advice Andrew was read a book! I accept this might be advice to some but you assumed I was a complete novice and so you thought it ok to tell me to read a book "By the questions they ask" ..... great advice. I had already read my books and could not find anything on it hence my question. As part of my free time I train stalkers (or at least try to) and I wonder how they'd react if they asked a question in the field and I responded with "Maybe you should read a book".

By your latest response you assume I'm a novice and your original post said "maybe YOU should read a book" thats was aimed directly at me!

But please...... get your hackles down dudette!

Lets move on.

Many many thanks Ian and Eldon thats just what I needed to know. You wouldn't know where I might find a detailed step by step guide on how to do it would ya?

Andrew

Its time to call it a day on this and no hard feelings by me to anyone however, my observation of your response could be explained like this:

There was something I did not know and I wanted to know so I asked the question(s) and yes in this instance as I have never fire formed nor have I "necked up or down" I am a complete novice in this area of my reloading experience. Now I think having not articulated the question in the right way maybe forgiven?

Your advice Andrew was read a book! I accept this might be advice to some but you assumed I was a complete novice and so you thought it ok to tell me to read a book "By the questions they ask" ..... great advice. I had already read my books and could not find anything on it hence my question. As part of my free time I train stalkers (or at least try to) and I wonder how they'd react if they asked a question in the field and I responded with "Maybe you should read a book".

By your latest response you assume I'm a novice and your original post said "maybe YOU should read a book" thats was aimed directly at me!

But please...... get your hackles down dudette!

Lets move on.

Dudette?

Well! I never!

Ok. I've been indignant.

Time to move on.~Andrew

Orka,

If I may interject here...

First off, I think everyone has a case of miscommunication here. Partly by your question (which is understandable, if you've never wildcatted caartridges before), and partly by the environment of internet boards where many a novice coming looking for information, quickly, demanding and assuming a right to it. I do not think that is your case mind you, merely a mis-perception as your question does smack of a novice trying to run before walking.

I can tell you this:

1. Wildcatting is an interesting endeavor and very rewarding if done safely and correctly.

2. I understand that there are few books on the topic (especially in the UK I'd imagine, where the number of firearms are limited). There are a few, but they tend to be obscure.

3. I'd highly recommend (if you are so inclined and still interested) to visit www.saubier.com and their forum. It is the ultimate wildcatter's forum and a plethora of data is ther to be had by a simple search.

Finally, I'd like to make a point about something. I've known Andrew for nigh on ten years now. The man has forgotten more about reloading than I have learned in my 20yrs reloading experience. You name it, and quite honestly, he's done it. Paperpatch, black powder, casting, swaging jacketed bullets, paper cartridges made from scratch (potassium nitrate soaked paper, rolled into a tube and tied to the bullet with powder enclosed for a double rifle he had). The guns I have seen that he's built are simply astounding and bespeak abreadth and depth of knowledge of firearms and munitions that few of us (IMHO) will ever master.

I sometimes give him grief that he doesn't take a picture of his "collection" to show that breadth. Usually he just shrugs and mumbles something about "yeah, well, its just stuff I've collected over the years". Perhaps now he will(???). :D

Back to the point though...check out Saubier's. There's an equally good crowd there that deal with nothing but wildcats and sub calibers. I'm sure you'd have your question answered (and in complete detail with pictures) at a site that is dedicated (for the most part) to just that.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

do a search on google as well :(

Archived