Shortening my 7mm saum barrel

I've recently found as good as my saum shoots at 100yds it's starts spraying them at 1000yds due to barrel profile.if I had 4 inches taken off recrowned and rethreaded could I see any improvement in its long range accuracy.it has a 28 inch barrel.its seem a bit of a waste to rebarrel it when it' only done around 300 shots.

I am also considering having it cut down and get it 're-rethreaded and modded and using it as my hunter.it would still have ample performance and I could use my 284 for my 1000yds range work.ideally I would rather still have the saum for the range and 284 for hunting and range work If I so choose.

Thoughts please

No I deer

I thought it maybe a bit stiffer.less flex on the kaaaboom.sporter type weight 19mm at the muzzle and 28 inches long.they don't use fat barrels for no reason....!

some of the experts on here said barrel profile and heating up caused the spraying of shots at 1000yds on a previous thread I posted.

28 inches is too long for hunting with a mod aswell

I doubt the profile is causing your groups to open up at 1000yds unless you are machine gunning it and seriously overheating the barrel.

1000yds is a long way and a lot can happen to the bullet on the way. Also a good 100yard load doesn't guarantee its a good 1000yd load, small vertical or horizontal issue can be masked at 100yds and hit you hard at 1000.

By all means shorten the barrel for hunting reasons but dont be fooled into thinking its the reason your not shooting as well as you might like at 1000yds, its most like one or a number of other reasons.

Hi Al

I shoot my 284 nicely at 1000yds.

Same bullet.same powder.same primer. 

You may well be right about about the horizontal and and vertical but how do I find out these answers when the load shoots great at 100yds.....?

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Hi Al

I shoot my 284 nicely at 1000yds.

Same bullet.same powder.same primer. 

You may well be right about about the horizontal and and vertical but how do I find out these answers when the load shoots great at 100yds.....?

We all have the same problem Im afraid.

Just because a bullet/powder/primer combo works well in a load for a .284 it doesn't mean it will be the same in a 7mm SAUM, in fact I would say it has as much change of being wrong as it would be right. 

Its really hard to do any meaningful 1000yd testing for most of us, its either the lack of a suitable range, poor conditions or both. 

I would compare both of your rifles at 300 and maybe 500 yds if you can to see if there is a clear pattern of separation between them, it might be that you need to do some 300yd load development.

I shot my saum in a club comp at 600yds and I was 2nd but I not really sure how coz it shot bloody terrible to how i expected it too.i knew then it wasn't gonnabe a shooter at 1000yds but had to try it out.if I used my 284 I would of p-ssed it.i was just gagging to start shooting the saum.

Yes our snapshooting comps certainly warms up the barrels.20 shot comp plus 4 siters.

6 x 4 shot details.

30 seconds for 4 siters

Then 60.50.40.30 and 20 second details.the whole COF takes  20 minutes or so.

Archived