Bushing Dies

Tikka

I need to get a bushing for my Redding neck die for the .260Rem, and I'm curious as to what you guys prefer

in terms of neck tension?

I've loaded a few bullets into dummy cases and they're averaging .293 diameter.

Redding say subtract .001" to get the best tension.

Is this OK for rifles that will be used in the field (stalking etc) or do you prefer a little more tension if the

rounds may tend to be loaded and unloaded into the rifle more often than a range rifle?

Tikka, I was thinking about asking the same question (but for .243Win) myself on the way home! So come on guys, impart your wealth of knowledge! :lol:

Tikka, I was thinking about asking the same question (but for .243Win) myself on the way home! So come on guys, impart your wealth of knowledge! :lol:

although i have a ai 243 the bushing dies are the same @.269 for my .272 case neck width.

just another question on this subject

when you put the bushing in to the die should you tighten the bushing die holder just until the bushing stops ratttling?

hope this helps mark

Personaly, I make up a round, measure the diameter of the neck with bullet and subtract .002".

I then buy a bushing this size and also another .001" larger as you never can tell which will work best.

So, in the case of the 260 Rem:

.293" - .002" = .291" bushing.

However, unless you are using it in a rifle that has a fitted (tight necked) chamber and you have neck turned the cases to suit, you might as well not bother spending the extra cash that bushing dies cost.

Spud

tighten the bushing so it is a loose fit but not excessive - you want it to "float" a little within the die body.

Archived