FAC Renewal - new question asked

geek

Dear all,

I have just had my renewal this morning, no issues (additional slots granted). However, I was asked a new question, where do you keep your spare keys? which I thought was most unusual. It was advised that this is a new policy and in the event of the death of an FAC holder it allows the police to take possession of the firearms without damaging the property.

They then wrote the location on the form and advised that it is hand written visit notes only, not saved electronically.

Thoughts anyone?

I have just spoken to the firearm licencing and they have advised that this is a new question for all FAC holders, they stated you could decline, however I was not advised of this at the time - now moving my spare keys.

There's NO WAY that I would allow the police to have that information. Up until now, in fact, you'd be breaking the law allowing anyone (including the police) to know the whereabouts of your keys. Better is to have a letter sealed and placed with your solicitor so that in the untimely event of any demise, the solicitor can open the letter and provide the police with the details at that time, or following you next of Kin successfully receiving a temporary cert until the firearms are disposed of.

"My wife has my spare keys" - NO !!!!

It is not a new question. I was asked this by Suffolk several years ago. Trickery pokery.

I am aware of that question, however my wife wasn't asked if she knew the whereabouts of my spare keys.

For those who feel they may keel over some time soon and I suppose those in the best of health as you never know what`s around the corner, it may be a good idea to do a stock list with cost prices and values , many of us have thousands tied up in firearms and optics and many of us tend to be a little untruthful with the other `arf about what kit costs , (I`m sure the fairer sex are the same with us regarding the price of shoes, handbags etc), you could leave the list , email or hard copy, with a best mate or a solicitor ensuring your family is not ripped off when you kark it.

Remember a £200 piece of crap rifle does not look that different to a £3000 rifle to the untrained / uninterested eye , the same applies to optics.

Archived