• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reads-(and looks,rotated) as if only 6 shots were fired(?) but first 4 impacted variously,but lower than the last two on the second target. Warming ammo will increase velocity ,and hence change POI-often up,but would four shots would do so (and about an inch) in winter UK conditions- it might well show that tendency in a light barrel,especially shot fast and so warming up (too much_....why varmint barrels are used)...but really,you would need to shoot a bit more to check this effect-it could be other things (like change of position,barrel rest....and 'hot loads' would increase the effect....you don't say...)

...so yes in principle (hence varmint barrels) but not really possible to have much confidence here,given the information and sample size.

gbal

It's a fluted barrel.

The 4 shot group was shot first followed by the two on the other pic.

It wasn't a very long experimental session. It was more to test the new moderator. Wildcat evolution.204 which I was quite impressed with. Using a 4-16 powered Meopta and shot those on 14 mag.

It could be my shooting is terrible but would the point of impact be higher on a warmer barrel?

I think the minute you bring into question your own ability you then have to focus on that and be confident you can rule it out before looking anywhere else.

The more you shoot good groups with different rifles the more you can trust your own shooting skills and the easier it is to then look elsewhere for the problem which could be a number of different things, heres an example.

I built a heavy tactical style rifle in 6.5x47 for a customer, he then took it to an experienced shooter and reloader who charged him for load development. I saw the results of the load development and the rifle was shooting very solid and reliable 3-4 shot groups in the 0.2s with two different bullets prone from a bipod. A week or two later I asked the owner how he was getting on with it, the results he showed me were poor, groups in the region of 0.6s-0.7s.

A couple of weeks later he had to come to my workshop for something unrelated but I suggested he brought the rifle I built and I would check it over and shoot a few groups to try and see if it was the rifle, his reloading or his shooting. I set the rifle up on a steady bench using bags and shot a 3 shot 0.2" group from a cold clean bore. The owner then shot a 0.089" with the next 3 shots from the same shooting position after I cave him a few pointers.

The point here is that shooter error can very easily be the problem and some simple improvements in shooting position, rests and technique can dramatically reduce and also stabilise groups.

OK,so not a slim barrel,load not known,but 204;shooter skill and shooting stability/rest etc unknown....

Rate of shot string unknown,perhaps short-as testing mod,so maybe not total accuracy oriented;scope good enough for 200y.....temperature unknown....

Only possible answer is "maybe"- you might want to check it more carefully,if you anticipate several close together shots when it matters....more usual would be a vertical stringing,as heat increased....but it's worth knowing,if it is consistent...any barrel hot-ish to the touch is likely to change POI about this much-varmint diameter just lasts a bit longer (fluting is in the 'not proven' category-essentially trading a tad more surface cooling-flute dependent-against a certain loss of metal......but it is not usually done on thin barrels to begin with.)

Hope this helps,but I don't think a definitive answer can yet be given...shoot some more with this in mind,or have someone else shoot it too...fast or slow,but take notes....

g

Bs, that's not a fast string,at 11 degreesC. I think your second sentence here simply underlines the wisdom of your first sentence.

More data should resolve what,or if anything untoward,is going on. Good shooting.

g

Both! Lol

I don't think any of us stop learning.

I does amaze me how a slight difference wether it's grip or tighter in the shoulder or more of a loose grip can make such a difference.

Bipod or sand bag, prone or bench can alter point of impact.

Really looking for way to my home loads and doing me targets over the holidays.

Could I suggest that you get yourself a 4inch gong. Get that out at 200 or so yards, get your practice on that until you can hit it every time out of 10. Re spray it every group to check Point of impact,

Once you can do that then move it out another 50 yards.

This is ofor course after your load development is complete.

I am definitely hitting a 4inch group at 200. The pictures are of a 2in target.

I was looking at chipping to with my mate for some steel that's upto the task of being hit by the .270 and the .204 etc but wow it comes at a price!!

We planned on cutting out some gongs and fox shaped targets.

I think you can get some 3 inch gongs from the chaps on here. Just get them out at 300yds or more. I just find practice on gongs saves allot of leg work.

I agree. I walked down twice today. Not just a straight forward walk either. Over the gate etc.

How many pennies are we talking?

• 3 weeks later...

£10 or there abouts BH Targets. 75mm or 100mm

I got both the 75mm and 100mm for me and my shooting buddy to practice on / perfect out strelok input and also testing our homeloads. We can both knock the crap out the 75mm one at 200 yards. I have a .223 and tony uses a .204

What group size are you guys hitting at 200yards?

My .204 shoots sub 0.25 MOA at 200 yards when there is no or little wind. (Less them half an inch 5 shot groups, done many times)

I think you need to work on you shooting methods and techniques mate and make sure they bare spot on.

Steve

Archived