semi-custom job

Right lads this is where its at........

i was looking to get a new rifle built, back in the day when i had money, but things have come to a head with a few projects i have going at home so money will be tight for a while.......

Now i was looking to stick too the .243 as i have a shed load of stuff for reloading this cal.

Now i'm a leftie shooting a right handed rifle all my life so i'll stick to that........

i'm looking to either keep the tikka stock and go all nuts on everything else or change stock.......

this rifle will be used mainly for fox work, has to be relatively light for stalking too..... i hear the m595 action is a good building block so it's this i'll build on.

i'm looking at getting it rebarreled with fluting, and the action trued and beded, but friends have said i don't need this, but i'm a bit of an accuracy nut........

i'm also looking at getting it threaded with thread protecter, and maybe adding an inch onto the barrel to up velocity and maybe improve accuracy by stablising the 100g bullets a bit better.....95 grain seem to do ok in it.

i also do a bit of target work too.

So all the gunnies out there feel free to chip in with recommendations.....advice. or anything really

forgot to add this work will be done at the end of my hunting season which is normally march 09

budget for work will be around 1200 stg............. :) and would a nice tactical stock still fall within the budget if added on...........

thak you all in advance......snap shot

Right lads this is where its at........

i was looking to get a new rifle built, back in the day when i had money, but things have come to a head with a few projects i have going at home so money will be tight for a while.......

Now i was looking to stick too the .243 as i have a shed load of stuff for reloading this cal.

Now i'm a leftie shooting a right handed rifle all my life so i'll stick to that........

i'm looking to either keep the tikka stock and go all nuts on everything else or change stock.......

this rifle will be used mainly for fox work, has to be relatively light for stalking too..... i hear the m595 action is a good building block so it's this i'll build on.

i'm looking at getting it rebarreled with fluting, and the action trued and beded, but friends have said i don't need this, but i'm a bit of an accuracy nut........

i'm also looking at getting it threaded with thread protecter, and maybe adding an inch onto the barrel to up velocity and maybe improve accuracy by stablising the 100g bullets a bit better.....95 grain seem to do ok in it.

i also do a bit of target work too.

So all the gunnies out there feel free to chip in with recommendations.....advice. or anything really

forgot to add this work will be done at the end of my hunting season which is normally march 09

budget for work will be around 1200 stg............. :) and would a nice tactical stock still fall within the budget if added on...........

thak you all in advance......snap shot

For your budget I'd try to rebarrel with a 22"or24", 1-8" twist, LW SS custom tube. 595 actions dont need much "trueing". Buy a Mcmillin stock and have it bedded in. You will now have spent your 1200(or a bit more), and you'll have a gun that will shoot as well as you can if not better. Save up for a CG trigger unit from Jackson rifles and other than a serious scope + picatinny rail there's not much else you would want to do...........

For your budget I'd try to rebarrel with a 22"or24", 1-8" twist, LW SS custom tube. 595 actions dont need much "trueing". Buy a Mcmillin stock and have it bedded in. You will now have spent your 1200(or a bit more), and you'll have a gun that will shoot as well as you can if not better. Save up for a CG trigger unit from Jackson rifles and other than a serious scope + picatinny rail there's not much else you would want to do...........

i have a leupold scope 6.5x20x50 LRT/M1......

But why do you say to increase the twist rate to 1 in 8, will this be suitable for 58 grain bullets as well,

i'm currently shooting 58 grain v-max into 1/2 inch or less at 100 yards consistantly,

i'm looking for a twist rate that will suit the bullets right up the range to 100 grains, and maybe the 105 a-max as well...

the only concern there is the mcmillian stock would be a little heavy for the salking end of things what do you think?

and cheers for the input.....SS

i have a leupold scope 6.5x20x50 LRT/M1......

But why do you say to increase the twist rate to 1 in 8, will this be suitable for 58 grain bullets as well,

i'm currently shooting 58 grain v-max into 1/2 inch or less at 100 yards consistantly,

i'm looking for a twist rate that will suit the bullets right up the range to 100 grains, and maybe the 105 a-max as well...

the only concern there is the mcmillian stock would be a little heavy for the salking end of things what do you think?

and cheers for the input.....SS

You'll need the 1-8" for the 105 A-max, I've always prefered the 87gn V-max......

There are plenty of Mcmillin stocks on stalking rifles, you dont need to make them heavy..........

The Leupy will be fine, pleanty of mag.......

snap,

what kind of stock do you have on that rifle?

Mc millan hunting stocks are normally not that heavy, maybe same as walnut original.

Ultralight is about half of an original walnut stock.

A walnut stock can be nicely pillar bedded and possibly the forend stiffend. Put up a thread

a while ago when I did a ruger. (with out pillars that time)

cheers

edi

Hi Snap and welcome buddy,

Alas you are not going to find a twist that will stabilise bullets from the extremes of the weight range, so you are going to have to make yor mind which you want to shoot the most.

Bullets like the 105 A-max, SMK, Berger and Scenar all need a fast twist to stabilise them.

The same fast twist will turn your 58 grainers into little puffs of grey smoke about 30yds from the muzzle.

A 1-10 twist will do the job with the light bullets and will also stabilise the 90grn Lapua Scenar, an excellent bullet if you want to reach out a bit.

Ian.

The stock is synthetic mate, i'm currently thinking along the line of maybe a mc millian A5.......

i think the 1 in 10 twist rate would suit me best..........or how would you guys rate a 1 in 9 in the .243

i'll stick to the 595 action as the donar......

yes the rifle shoots well, but i would like it to just do that little bit better with a little help........

bullet of chioce for long range would be the 87 grain v-max as it has an excellent BC. And would make for an excellent long range fox control too.

but for deer control too the 95 grain sst and 95 grain nosler's are bullet of choice so far.

As for getting the job done........its all about consistancy within the rifle and bedding that will help out on the accuracy end....well that and the twit behind the trigger........... :)

So lets just imagine then it's settled 1 in 10 or 9 if it works out.......24" barrel i'm thinking mc A5 tac stock.....

does that get you gunny's thinking of possibilities...........

a 1 in 10" would be the very last twist i would put on a .243...its a master of none.

A 1 in 9" would shoot everything from the 58 grain v-max up to the 90 grain target bullets, and stabilise them all. If you want to go heavier, like a 105 it has to be a 1 in 8"

I had a 1 in 10" twist on a sako, and it wouldn,t stabilise anything over a 87 grain bullet....it can be done, but its a hell of a lot of messing with slow powders etc.

I have a 1-12 on my 243Ai as i wanted it to be at its best with 65-75g bullets

It still dumps 87g vmax into 1/4" wich suprised me so its still quite versitile;-)

main diet is 65g fodder mind

Andy

a 1 in 10" would be the very last twist i would put on a .243...its a master of none.

A 1 in 9" would shoot everything from the 58 grain v-max up to the 90 grain target bullets, and stabilise them all. If you want to go heavier, like a 105 it has to be a 1 in 8"

I had a 1 in 10" twist on a sako, and it wouldn,t stabilise anything over a 87 grain bullet....it can be done, but its a hell of a lot of messing with slow powders etc.

cheer's baldie,

glad to see you on here mate, it's been a while....................

i shoot the 95 grain sst and nosler's for deer accuracy doesn't seem to be too bad sometimes normally hovering around 3/4 to 1/2 inch sometimes... but anything under these weights seem to be accurate.............

Any advice on set up......i have around 1200 to 1300 stg to spend.........

I think you've been unlucky, Dave. Both my 243's (a Tikka 595 All Weather and a Sako AII with Archer barrel) have 1 in 10 twists and both shoot really well with 68/70 grain bullets while turning in sub inch groups with 100 grain Hornady SP's and 96 grain RWS cone points. I did next to no load development with the heavier bullets, just used H414 instead of my usual N140.

mine was the same Marv, it shot the 68 grain g+c customs like a br gun, but i couldn,t get anything over 87 grains to group sub inch. Sometimes i expect too much, i know i do, after all, 1" groups with a 100 grainers will do for most stalkers, and its what the gun was designed for after all.

Its now a 6mmbr...and i kill fly,s with it.... :mad:

Archived