Can you trim off too much?

walkabout

I have been given a load of 6.5x47 Lapua cases, they are only twice fired but have been trimmed down to 1.830"

The recommended is 1.843".

What difference do you think these shorter neck cases would make?

I realise that there will be less grip on the bearing surface of a bullet, but is it that dramatic?

Mark

Nice one,JCS !

Damn lucky the capacity minimum wasn't a few drops more (the 30/30 Imp never caught on)

No need to try this at home.folks (please!) -the standard 30BR is good enough for most,and if it isn't,the 6PPC will be.

Shows what will be done,though,when a line is drawn,but the rules say you score more when you touch it. :-)

gbal

I think of my 1859 Sharps rifle: It is a MOA rifle and has a combustible paper cartridge pushed in behind the bullet. It works just as well just pouring powder into the chamber after pushing the bullet home. The bullet's front driving band is made to engage the rifling and thereby be "locked" into place, facing straight down the bore, with the bullet nose riding the tops of the lands. I think that in a cartridge gun, a precisely made free-bore and custom fit chamber would have the same effect.~Andrew

Archived