But, it's still several processes plus a visit or two to the range. The Norma dasher will cut that out.

From what I've read you need a new reamer for the Norma cases, so it could be a case of swings and roundabouts on that one.

Redshift

Redshift,any reason not to use a 257 -or 6.5- mandrel rather than 7mm-see Accurate Shooter accounts. Is the exact location on the neck for the false shoulder critical, and does the subsequent full length (?6BR ) die need some fine tuning?

"Just run it through a full length die " seemed a little imprecise...against it's mixed reputation for 'extra steps/work' etc...Not quite Ackley,but doesn't seem much reloading room extra work? (as you say-just not quite sure on detail-and sometimes,things go a little a-gley (wrong) on these manoeuvers. :-)

I'd have no issues with (another) trip to the range to fire form-probably reasonable performance with that-but the ballistic edge the Dasher offers should be worth a fun couple of hours...the 6BR is hardly over powered,esp for UK conditions (and the Dasher has it's own world records,so accuracy does not seem to diminish effectively,if at all......

Is there any real use confirmation/otherwise of the possible Norma special reamer or brass issues;or is it just too soon to even know if UK will even get any (very small potential market,and Norma brass price won't undercut Lapua)!

gbal

Redshift - the reamer is on order.

George - yes, the position of the false shoulder is very critical - the primer must be hard against the boltface. It must be an effort to close the bolt.

This is one reason I've gone for the hydraulic method - messy but it saves a visit to the range.

VInce -of course,otherwise 'headspace' issues /soft strikes as cartridge may move in chamber,so after mandrel-ing the neck,the FL die adjust is the critical bit,to get a tight chambering....thanks.

g

Hi Vince, still pleased with my decision but out of curiosity do you know when the Norma Dasher brass will become generally available in this country?

Cheers, Les

The $64,000 question! But, it's ordered.

I guess that all the American orders will be fulfilled first - we'll get what's left on the shelves probably. If it's here for the start of the 2017 1000 yard BR Championship - i.e. April - that'll do me.

The $64,000 question! But, it's ordered.

I guess that all the American orders will be fulfilled first - we'll get what's left on the shelves probably. If it's here for the start of the 2017 1000 yard BR Championship - i.e. April - that'll do me.

If my HG/6BR barrel combo is ready earlier, then maybe just a little time to beat you then Vince before you come on stream with the Norma Dasher ha ha!

"Just run it through a full length die " seemed a little imprecise...against it's mixed reputation for 'extra steps/work' etc...Not quite Ackley,but doesn't seem much reloading room extra work? (as you say-just not quite sure on detail-and sometimes,things go a little a-gley (wrong) on these manoeuvers.

My chambers are nice and tight, the difference between a shot round and a full length sized round is 1.5 thou at the shoulder, so as I said " expand the neck and run the case through the full length sizing die" job done, out of 500 cases I've formed I've lost 2 to splits and both were at the shoulder.

If this sort of work doesn't appeal then wildcat type rounds are not for you, to me it's half the fun.But then again I spend most of my time in the workshop anyway ( present project a 600bhp per tonne sprint car)

My Mrs and daughter both shoot straight 6brs which loose nothing out to 900yds, but the dasher just seems to nick it at 1000/1100.

Both are brilliant rounds and really satisfying to shoot.

Redshift.

Redshift,

You missunderstand- clearly from eg Vince's more measured description,having expanded the neck with a mandrel (I did ask if 7mm was essential-other exerts have used 257 and 6.5),care must be taken to resize to bullet retaining part of the neck so that the case can be chambered snug against the boltface,effectively headspacing it so there is no movement ,causing light strikes when fireformed.l That is not really a 'just run it through a full length die",but means a rather careful resize of only enough of the neck...more or less progressively,(trial end error"-ie with some skill and care.

...that is the point I was asking about- it really isn't just a run through-which would defeat the mandrel expansion....it's a careful partial neck resize. Perhaps I'm missing something,but then I'm not an engineer,and my very limited "wildcatting" experience is only runs to two tight neck 30s,7BR,30BR,6.5x55 AI,and Shehane; 22PPC and 25-3000 aren't really wildcats- you just run a case though the die (sort of).So nothing advanced,which is why a bit of descriptive detail always helps me,especially when there are several views on proceedures,which don't always quite agree,or mention snags in advance....

Sometimes experienced experts are rather cavalier in their explanatory efforts,and see no need to exlain in any detail..and can also get the wrong end the monkey wrench-I was asking as I have a couple of 6BRs but am interested in a Dasher...which means a bit of 'wildcatting'-just wanted to have a bit more guidance,benefit of experience-as eg Vince's reply.

I agree both are fine cartridges,probably separated only at extremes.

I hope your family continue to enjoy the 6BR.Very nice cartridge to shoot-as is the whole BR family.

There should be no problem with your sprintcar,just fit a powerful engine. I expect that has to be true,but seems to lack a bit of detail,as a project blueprint.

Good luck with the engine project,bound to be challenging,but potentially very satisfying.

g

6mm Brx all the way best of both worlds , all the accuracy of the Br but with the legs of the dasher and it uses 6Br dies

Just saying B)

Yes,thanks Dully for the reminder-the BRX does look like the easiest option for an improved 6BR,giving up very little in performance,but saving on custom dies,and some prep,as it uses the regular the regular 6BR dies. Is that your experience?

It's looks a good option for those not totally immersed in the joys of wildcatting (other than of course the initial reamer,but they all need that) but tempted by a bit more performance-and resolves most of the banter about easy/hard for the Dasher ...presumably....?? :-)

gbal

Nope - it's not. The new Dasher brass does NOT require any fireforming etc plus it has a BR-length neck.

Well,let's hope so-rumour yesterday was the Norma might not be an exact CIP clone of the Lapua 6BR brass-but that may well be just speculation.

Some batches at least of Norma 6BR Norma brass were slightly different sized just above the web compared to Lapua 6BR Norma brass -maybe 'just' at opposite tolerance extreme though...at least in USA (AccSh reports) ....and Sako PPC USA brass did it's own thing.

It may well be some time before any Norma brass is actually to hand here,and chambering ready.

It would not be the first time the new better mousetrap wasn't a completely free lunch,but it will no doubt resolve . I'll put priority into a fast twist 243 barrel meanwhile,and get a bit more (uneeded) zip...until things ... errr ..'norma-lise'. :-)

gbal

Archived