Wind reading. How and what I use.

247sniper

Hi guys,

Sometimes people ask how I read the wind and how I seem to be able to read it so well.

Well instead of writing about it I made a little video to show how and what I use to help me read and make the necessary corrections for the wind speed and direction and most importantly achieve first round on target hits.

Hope this is off interest to some of you guys?

ATB

Steve.

Steve,

Thank you for the effort, nice demo of the Kestrel and straight fwd explanation of how you work with it.

Always good to hear (in your case see) what other people do and use.

Not high jacking your post but might be interesting to know what others do?

Brgds Terry

Steve,

Thank you for the effor, nice demo of the Kestrel and straight fwd explanation of how you work with it.

Always good to hear (in you case see) what other people do and use.

Not high jacking your post but might be interesting to know what others do?

Brgds Terry

Thanks for your comments mate, much appreciated.

Yeh this method I use when shooting steel and and long range vermin from a single spot or like a vantage point etc, when your Kestrel etc is set up correctly it only take maybe a minute to mount the weather vane and kestrel, select the companion app and away you go, as quick as that.

I do also just measure the wind speed and direction just with the 4500 and make adjustments from there but have found from my experience that it is simply not as accurate for wind calls with regards wind speed change and direction.

Thanks again

Steve

Thanks for effort on vid , which kestrel model is you use with the kestrel app ? I only have a 4500nv - no blue tooth etc ! :( Managed a first round hit on 6" gong yesterday @600 , but knew my winter loads were hot so reduced the correction by 1moa - missed the next 2 had sun going down and couldn't make out if i was left or right id dialled 1moa for wind - practice practice ;)

Thanks for effort on vid , which kestrel model is you use with the kestrel app ? I only have a 4500nv - no blue tooth etc ! :( Managed a first round hit on 6" gong yesterday @600 , but knew my winter loads were hot so reduced the correction by 1moa - missed the next 2 had sun going down and couldn't make out if i was left or right id dialled 1moa for wind - practice practice ;)

Hiya Pal,

I have the Kestrel 4500 with AB with the Bluetooth. The live time on the fly is also available on the Strelok Pro as well but Applied Ballistic but the AB companion app is just class.

Thanks for your comments

Steve

Steve, great video.

I also use a Kestrel 4500 AB BT however I have never been able to get my iFone (4S) to talk to it across BT, any tips or pointers?

David - I gave up on trying to get my Kestrel 4500 AB to speak to my iPhones (5S and now 6S). I have since sold it on and now use a WeatherFlow WeatherMeter which gives all of the information I need and it can be used hand-held, on my iPhone, or mounted on a tripod - Highly recommended.

F42F88A3-5D48-49D2-B84C-C4284B93D95C.png

Steve, great video.

I also use a Kestrel 4500 AB BT however I have never been able to get my iFone (4S) to talk to it across BT, any tips or pointers?

If the top of my head it's should work. IIRC the earlier Iphones were crap at connecting to any other devise apart from Apple products.

Apparently Apple have now addressed the issue and I believe the Iphones will no pair with most things including the kestrels.

I'll try with my wife's Iphones 6 later and let you know how I get on.

Steve

Great video, thank you of your efforts very informative. I use the NV Kestral non Bluetooth. Good kit but perhaps time to upgrade if I get a new phone.

Archived