Awesome fox video with the WT1 75-3 thermal rifle scope

CliveWard

Personally I've got my doubts about thermal scopes, can you actually be 100% certain ever time of identifying your intended target that your just about to shoot? I know I can with my archer!

Looking through my HD38 cats can easily be mistaken for fox cubs, one of the farms I shoot on their collie could very easily be mistaken for a fox when it's stalking rabbits!!

No doubt that's a fox in the video! Using the Optix Identifier 60 we have I am 100% certain about target recognition every time. Look through a scope that's three times the price of a spotter and you will see the diference. Great footage Clive I hope the fox got it!

Ben

Personally I've got my doubts about thermal scopes, can you actually be 100% certain ever time of identifying your intended target that your just about to shoot? I know I can with my archer!

Looking through my HD38 cats can easily be mistaken for fox cubs, one of the farms I shoot on their collie could very easily be mistaken for a fox when it's stalking rabbits!!

Andy,

The scope that Clive is using has 3 times better resolution than your HD38 - that makes it much easier to be 100% sure about the identity of the intended target.

Cheers

Bruce

The first few seconds of Clive's video when the fox is some distance away to me it looks like a fox "shape" but I couldn't be 100% certain! (not sure what distance it is) I don't think I would be comfortable shooting at it, obviously when it gets closer it's identifiable as a fox.

I'll be upgrading my HD38 next winter, would I swap my archer set up for a thermal sight? very doubtful, for me there are too many if, buts and maybes and once you've pulled the trigger it could be too late! Just my opinion.

What distance did the fox start and finish at please

Google maps says 75 yards at the start and I would guess at 15-20 at the end.

Cheers

Clive

I know exactly where you are coming from Andy. I was genuinely worried about our industry when the Apex 38 and even 50 rifle scopes were released. An accident waiting to happen. We sold a few Apex XD75s but made sure that customers knew the limitations of the large pixel pitch, resulting low magnification and lesser thermal sensitivity.

In my testing I found that for the kind of shooting we do here in the UK a 17 micron core, behind a 75mm F1 lens and 800x600 OLED display is about perfect and will allow easy 100% ID even at extended distances.

The video, as good as it is, represents about 50% of the quality that you can actually see through the scope itself. Also any adjustments made on the display settings to further enhance image quality are lost on the captured video.

It's one of those things that you have to really see for yourself. There is a huge difference in image quality between the WT1 series and current offerings at this price point.

I'm fortunate that I can use any type of night vision, tubed, digital or thermal, by pretty much any manufacturer, but my personal choice is a WT1 75-3 on my centre fire rifles and a WT1 50-3 for the rimfires. Unless I'm doing product testing, then all my shooting is done with a WT1.

Cheers

Clive

I'm still not persuaded by thermal ATM. They're getting there, but still have a way to go for me. I use the XD50s for spotting and although the picture is way better than any HD38 etc, identification can be an issue in some situations.

I've tried the Pulsar thermal sight offerings and so far, I'm not happy the shot is safe due to the limits in definition in the background. They are great for shooting hogs in the wide open spaces of the USA, but for the overpopulated SE England, I want a way better picture before I send a bullet into the night.

Atb

Google maps says 75 yards at the start and I would guess at 15-20 at the end.

Cheers

Clive

I know exactly where you are coming from Andy. I was genuinely worried about our industry when the Apex 38 and even 50 rifle scopes were released. An accident waiting to happen. We sold a few Apex XD75s but made sure that customers knew the limitations of the large pixel pitch, resulting low magnification and lesser thermal sensitivity.

In my testing I found that for the kind of shooting we do here in the UK a 17 micron core, behind a 75mm F1 lens and 800x600 OLED display is about perfect and will allow easy 100% ID even at extended distances.

The video, as good as it is, represents about 50% of the quality that you can actually see through the scope itself. Also any adjustments made on the display settings to further enhance image quality are lost on the captured video.

It's one of those things that you have to really see for yourself. There is a huge difference in image quality between the WT1 series and current offerings at this price point.

I'm fortunate that I can use any type of night vision, tubed, digital or thermal, by pretty much any manufacturer, but my personal choice is a WT1 75-3 on my centre fire rifles and a WT1 50-3 for the rimfires. Unless I'm doing product testing, then all my shooting is done with a WT1.

Cheers

Clive

Ok, thanks Clive I'll keep watching this space and if I find anyone with one in my neck of the woods I'll have a look at it.

Cheers

Archived