Where have the rabbits gone ?

David Hancock

It's been two weeks since I was up on one of my permissions and the weather has just spurted on the undergrowth to such a degree I was expecting a rhino to pop out.

But, not one rabbit. No fresh droppings, no flattended areas, no bodies, no previous signs of mixy or VHD.

A bit thin on the ground down here as well,,,,worst place is our long range moorland area but small rocks taking a bit of a hammering at the end of the day!!!,,,Local RFD has said ammo sales taken a drop so must be a pattern in this local area,,,?,,,,,O

Fifteen years or so ago, my wife and I went for a walk on a hill on the edge of a local village. As we approached the base of the hill it appeared to be moving as if it was covered in bushes and the wind was moving them.

When we got on the hill proper we discovered that the reason for this movement was that it was teeming with thousands of rabbits. The surface of the hill was literally a carpet of the things.

They are still there but the population is much more normal, whatever that is.

A combination of Mixy, VHD and VHD2.

The latter kills off rabbits of all ages including the very young. You can sometimes find them above ground, sometimes with grass in their mouths, stone dead with no apparent signs.

It kills very quickly so doesn't spread as fast as the other two diseases which is why you will get certain areas with a high population yet half a mile down the road there are very few.

There's no doubt the rabbit is under threat more than any time in its history, let's hope it manages to overcome this latest problem

I agree with old keeper, we went out 3weeks ago and shot a trailer load,then went 2 miles to the other permission and zero bunnies ?post-12796-0-30170000-1468513530_thumb.jpg and if you say why shoot so many, the landowner was going to get them gassed, and all of them went for meat for us and dog food

good evening,there is a market for them ,my game dealer pays £1.50 head shot £1.00 body shot butcher pays £2.00 but wants them skinned and local pub takes 10 at a time skinned for £2.50 but only takes 10 a month ,at least it pays for fuel and ammo.

hi the majority of the rabbits we shot went in the freezer for me for winter, cant beat a good winter stew, and rabbit I think is one of the best we shot twice the number pictured and the rest were put in the mincer for the dogs as for game dealers its to much effort none of the rabbits were wasted and have you seen the price of good dog food lately better

hi the majority of the rabbits we shot went in the freezer for me for winter, cant beat a good winter stew, and rabbit I think is one of the best, we shot twice the number pictured, and the rest were put in the mincer for the dogs, as for game dealers its to much effort, none of the rabbits were wasted, and have you seen the price of good dog food lately better me and my dogs having the meat then letting them be gassed and wasted,dave

Archived