Custom Ear Plugs

OK, so my search at the CLA ended in vain - I couldn't find any stand offering custom fit filter ear plugs (i.e. Emtec) for less than £60. Was hoping to get special show deals down to ~£40, but saw very few show deals in general at the CLA . Still a great event and cracking weather, lets just hope the ticket prices stays at that level for the next decade!!

So, the hunt is still on, where can I find the cheapest custom fit ear plugs? I presume that there is very little difference between them all so it just comes down to price.

Cheers,

Oly.

You could always get a ( good :lol: ) mate to fill each ear with silicon from a sanitary quality clear or coloured tube and give it 15 mins to cure enough to take out, hey presto custom fit ear plugs!!. We have actually done it and it worked :D . £2.15 for the tube, you cant get cheaper than that.

Redfox

Interesting!! Really want them with filters in though...that's my only excuse fior not making them myself...honest!! :lol:

You could always get a ( good :lol: ) mate to fill each ear with silicon from a sanitary quality clear or coloured tube and give it 15 mins to cure enough to take out, hey presto custom fit ear plugs!!. We have actually done it and it worked :D . £2.15 for the tube, you cant get cheaper than that.

Redfox

I'd more conservatively say you "got away with doing it".

As a professional audiologist, I can say you truly risk writing an ear off with DIY ear impressions. Industrial "silicon" is nothing like the proper "addition polysiloxane" used for ear impressions. Besides the viscosity being far too low for a good fit, it also has adhesive properties that are the -last thing- you'd want for such purposes. One in say 20 people have ear canals with bulges or unusual anatomy, where there's plenty of room for disaster with inappropriate techniques. Ear impressions are always taken with a dam of some sort to stop the material reaching the drum, and you need the correct illumination (and knowledge) to do this.

My serious advice- don't attempt it.

I once saw a disaster from an oral surgeon having a go and it wrote off the ear when he tore out the drum.

Chris-NZ

I agree with what you say Chris, we used a cotton wool in plastic outer, ear plug as a dam and the silicon we used was not an adhesive quality type ( most silicons have low adhesive qualities except the building sealants). We were desperate as we had gone on a shooting expedition and someone left the bag with our hearing defenders in behind ( not me) and it was a bit tongue in cheek comment anyway!.

I have damaged hearing as dicussed a few weeks back and so have a set of electronic in ear defenders which cost quite a lot but what price your hearing?.

I would also say and I'm sure you will agree, that if your firing more than the odd single shot ( as when stalking) that the only effective way is proper headphone style defenders which cover the bone behind the ear as a lot of sound is transmitted that way too.

I certainly wear a set of proper Peltor defenders when shooting for groups or lots of shots at various targets and dont really find it a disadvantage, wearing the in ear ones when stood well away from the firing point only.

Redfox

I would also say and I'm sure you will agree, that if your firing more than the odd single shot ( as when stalking) that the only effective way is proper headphone style defenders which cover the bone behind the ear as a lot of sound is transmitted that way too.

I certainly wear a set of proper Peltor defenders when shooting for groups or lots of shots at various targets and dont really find it a disadvantage, wearing the in ear ones when stood well away from the firing point only.

Redfox

Properly made and designed plugs are fine -but- there's lots of room for error in the process. It's certainly easy to get a decent level of protection from high-grade muffs. Trouble is hearing what's going on around you.

I actually use electronic plugs exclusively- have about 5 sets made from various digital and hybrid hearing aid amps, plus the original Starkey Sportsmasters which still work but the shells are getting tired.. To give you an idea, my son let a .260 go about 2 foot off my R ear recently (in the heat of battle) and the only real effect was the air pressure slap from the muzzle blast. I had zero tinnitus or TTS (temp hearing red'n) afterwards despite the blast plus about 25 other centrefire rounds.

Ear impressions are critical for seal. Custom plugs need a firm and accurate seal at least 12mm down the canal, and you won't achieve this from casual impressions.

Chris-NZ

What are you gonna use them for mate?

I had a set of these when I was shooting competions at International Level, do your self a favour put the money towards a good set of Peltor tactical6-S Electronis ear defenders , their slim and very comfortable and cut out the sound of the shot but also amplify so its great if your duck flighting as you can hear the duck before you can see them.

We had some probs with the moulded ear plugs mate I always seemed to get a bit of ringing after a good days shooting and when I shot abroard in hot weather they would also sweat and start to rub the ear.

Nemasis, they are for all types of shooting, from rough shotgun shooting through to full bore range days. Unfortunately I always find that over ear ones touch the stock of my guns. :rolleyes:

I don't suppose you tried this type did you?? http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Tactical-Behi...r/dp/B0000X6I5I

... put the money towards a good set of Peltor tactical6-S Electronis ear defenders , their slim and very comfortable and cut out the sound of the shot but also amplify so its great if your duck flighting as you can hear the duck before you can see them.

We had some probs with the moulded ear plugs mate I always seemed to get a bit of ringing after a good days shooting and when I shot abroard in hot weather they would also sweat and start to rub the ear.

Have a pair of the 6S as well ($59US imported) and they work fine. One of my sons hogs their use. As I said previously, you've gotta double-check they're switched off afterwards as the vol knobs are prone to being knocked back on. The batteries are also slightly painful to get to but otherwise, they're good value.

As for the custom moulded plugs, "rubbing" is due to a pressure point which will most often occur in the cymba (upper recess of the bowl). It's rather rare with professional plugs to have problems deep in the canal. Careful trimming with the right open-grit high-speed grindstone will easily fix nearly all pressure problems but it has to be done with care and skill. You can't just start hacking away..

Any sweating is largely the result of the insulation effect of the silicon material but I haven't found it to be a problem. I make quite a few silicon plugs for shooters with a non-linear filter (Paterson Ear Defender, made in Melbourne, Oz) to allow better hearing of sound around them, and I've had no complaints of "sweating". Solid (unfiltered) plugs may be slightly more prone to this though.

Chris-NZ

I also have a set, they have a small tube drilled into them to allow some hearing. From memory 'Green something or other'. Paid about £80 from memory.

I have had them 2 seasons, wear them about 20 days a year. Hearing people talking with them in is pretty poor. Muffs give me a headache after a few hours. Maybe the £500 sets might be better, lot of dosh to invest though if they are crap.

If I lost them I think I would go back to electronic muffs.

A

IMHO , there is no 'cheap' solution... I have been thru most of the routes, NHS, Siemens, et al..... but I've said several times elsewhere that my hearing was severely damaged due to a deep diving incident while working in the North Sea in the '70's. ( Middle Ear bend , for the Divers amongst us) Years of abuse with shotguns and rifles has not helped.

I use custom moulded hearing defenders from Puretone, and they are brilliant, and thats no exaggeration. I have the older analogue model, but they are now available with digital technology and I can't recommend Puretone highly enough.

For everyday use, I have a pair of 16 channel digital hearing aids , also from Puretone, and they have restored a quality of Life, that I could only have imagined previously.

I would counsel anyone to make their best efforts to preserve their hearing, it is NO FUN to lose it!

Rant over...

ATB

Its been my experience that the words "Cheap" and "Custom" are

a contradiction in terms.

Just like "military inteligence".

308Panther

I agree, they go hand in hand with Police inteligence and Fun run :lol:

Ads

Here's a very good price- special just advertised by a US outfit:

http://www.eabco.com/PeltorTactical6.htm

Chris, NZ

Thanks Chris - as often with US sites though - it's always worth checking - "International Orders - Sorry, we DO NOT SHIP out of the USA. We can not use any billing OR shipping addresses that are not in the US. If you use a billing or shipping address that is not in the US the order will NOT be processed."

Thanks Chris - as often with US sites though - it's always worth checking - "International Orders - Sorry, we DO NOT SHIP out of the USA. We can not use any billing OR shipping addresses that are not in the US. If you use a billing or shipping address that is not in the US the order will NOT be processed."

BUGGER!

Didn't think of that as I have my US mate fwd anything I get

Chris

OK, so my search at the CLA ended in vain - I couldn't find any stand offering custom fit filter ear plugs (i.e. Emtec) for less than £60. Was hoping to get special show deals down to ~£40, but saw very few show deals in general at the CLA . Still a great event and cracking weather, lets just hope the ticket prices stays at that level for the next decade!!

So, the hunt is still on, where can I find the cheapest custom fit ear plugs? I presume that there is very little difference between them all so it just comes down to price.

Cheers,

Oly.

You should have bit the bullet pard, I paid £60 for mine at the cla a few years ago, granted a lot of money, and I had to force myself to spend it but I am so glad I did, they are one if not the best thing I have aquired to do with my shooting. I used to find with many ear plugs that one of my ears would be quite sore for a day or so after wareing them for an hour or so but not any more :D

Archived