IOR Scopes

sharps4065

A friend of mine is considering an IOR Scope. I have no experience of them to advise. So what does communal wisdom think about them? Especially for long range work.

Cheers

Sharps4065

Never owned but have used a couple and looked thru/' 'fondled' a few more. All had nice glass and controls - but they are to me just a bit 'chunky'.

Terry

Ps your name would suggest a Winchester 'B' would be more appropriate? :)

I used to shoot with a mate who was a part-time RFD and very experienced shooter. He had owned many premium brands of 'scope. He used to say, "If you want to look AT a 'scope, buy [brand X, Y or Z]; if you want to look THROUGH a 'scope, buy IOR."

Tiborasaurus Rex agrees:

maximus otter

I have the 3.5 x 18 FFP ,The glass quality is brilliant, the turrets are large and easy to use with definite clicks and a zero stop,it also has a separate ring on the elevation turret so you can have two zero settings, which is handy. if i was being really fussy i would say the reticle is a little busy for my liking and it is a little heavy,but not enough to be a real issue. They are also built like a tank, my rifle recently got knocked of a 900 high workbench onto a wooden floor and landed on the scope with no effect to performance or zero, The price is good compared to other quality scopes, I'm just about to buy another one

Sharps4065

Never owned but have used a couple and looked thru/' 'fondled' a few more. All had nice glass and controls - but they are to me just a bit 'chunky'.

Terry

Ps your name would suggest a Winchester 'B' would be more appropriate? :)

Very true but I do like the '74, the Winnies never appealed. The 40/65 is my short and mid range tack driver (and when I don't want the snot kicked out of me). My serious '74, for long range and scaring the locals, is a 50/90 with a 16lb Shiloh Barrel on it. Total weight 21lbs. The bitch still gains your attention when you pull the trigger though!

I have the crusader model on my 6.5 to say I am impressed would be a under statement, great optics , built like a tank the only minor fault is the parallax adjustment needs only very small movements to be in forcus or out of forcus but not a major problem ,

Team this scope up with the sphur one piece mount and you have some great kit,

Try optics warehouse great service

I can't quite make up my mind about the IOR scopes. Over here, many praise their glass and features. But over on Snipershide, many of the old hands are very dismissive of IOR, saying that there have heen many quality and durability issues over the years.

The newer IOR scopes seem to have addressed some of the old issues that IOR had , such as the very poor IR systems. mediocre glass. ect.

Saying that I run a Zeiss victory 6-24 and a 6-24 IOR , The victory is by far the better glass in every way and every lighting condition, so for me IOR sit somewhere below the top euro scopes... But they are a hell of a lot cheaper too.

Optically IOR are better than both the NF NXS or Leupold.

ATB
S

Yeah, never liked the High Wall. Fine rifles but just never appealed. Quite liked Steve's Meacham variant though. And that B series scope of Jim's wouldn't be period correct for a '74. I had a Malcolm on my .45 x 3.25"

Archived