Ep 1 - Pace Brothers - Into the Wilderness

LONG RANGE CAPT

Man I am homesick.......

Glasgow looks better than I remember! :lol::)

OK, so I'm a miserable git convalescing after a spot of surgery, but I have to be honest, I gave up after 11 minutes

No doubt they had a lot of fun staging the scenes, and there are some great drone shots and other photography, but the opening commentary made me think I was about to watch an unsupported attempt on Annapurna.

The contrived near-my-car scenes and Appalachian-Cairngorm styling finished me.

Before a day at the stags, mussels for breakfast? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

a bit like saying you're going white water rafting and then taking a selfie on the log flume at Alton Towers!!

:lol:

Pull up a sandbag, but I've 'done' the Scandinavian and Canadian Arctic, I've 'done' Scottish Highlands in Winter, I've 'done' the Himalayas ...and even (a long time ago!) spent a summer instructing in the actual Appalachian Mountains (!!!), but I'm afraid -even with the banjo soundtrack- that vid evokes none of it.

The 'existential' narration at the start of the vid was very 'Reinhold Messner about to do Everest without oxygen',

but the first 11 minutes visually overwhelmed me with very dissonant feelings of watching faux-adventure, much like the sort of scenes my kids do making short films with their ipads but with much posher kit: 'film-a-steep-bit-near-my-car-to-look-like-a-cliff' and 'film-a-patch-of-snow-near-my-car-etc'

Horses for courses - I don't think there's any doubt that it's a very well done marketing vid for those who don't get the same reaction. :)

I saw it yesterday....well about the first 4 minutes

Then the phone rang, and I was glad it did.

Having just had another quick look towards the end....far too contrived with the set-up camera angles etc.

I'm not a huge fan of killing stuff and even less a fan of people filming it for their own jollification

That's a fair enough view point Bradders but I didn't see any 'jollification'. Fair enough, you don't want to shoot a living creature and I respect you for your view point but don't degrade and dismiss others that do. The animal that was taken was a justifiable cull Stag, shot humanely, field gralloched and retrieved, albeit in a labourious manner from the hill.

That's a fair enough view point Bradders but I didn't see any 'jollification'. Fair enough, you don't want to shoot a living creature and I respect you for your view point but don't degrade and dismiss others that do. The animal that was taken was a justifiable cull Stag, shot humanely, field gralloched and retrieved, albeit in a labourious manner from the hill.

Jollification aside - I've shot my share of reds, as have you, but - personally-I don't like seeing animal killing / moment of death / 'snuff' vids either.

I'm not doing that, I'm expressing my opinion that I don't see the necessity in filming yourself killing something, except for your own gratification?

Archived