Surgeon actions

Another one for Dave :lol:

How easy is it or can it even be done to fit a Surgeon action into say a McMillan A5 with a Rem 700 inlet?

As far as I'm aware the angle of the bolt and the recoil lug are different on the Surgeon, other than that it should drop straight in?

Don't worry I'm not thinking of doing it myself, I'm just provisionally planning for the future, hence yesterdays question on mag feeding a 6BR.

Also a nice write up in next months Gun Mart about the .308 built by SYSS.

Sorry Ian

not Dave, but I have a couple of Surgeon builds on going and have just walked out from the lathe, where I am working on my S/A build

The Surgeon S/A repeater is exactly the same inlett at the Rem 700 - in essence.

However there are a couple of minor differences that any smith can resolve easily.

#1 - The Surgeon uses a LHS bolt release not a bottom push like the Rem 700 , so the stock will need a small inlet cutting to accomodate the bolt release.

#2 - as the Surgeon has an integral recoil lug, the action is about 1/4 inch longer than the Rem 700, this means that the recoil lug inlet will need milling out a little to acommodate the extra length of the SURGEON, two minute job.

You mention bolt handle angles - both Rem and Surgeon are the same angle.

So Basically any S/A Rem 700 inletted stock will take a Surgeon with minor modification only.

Hope that helps.

Sorry for butting in Baldie :lol::lol:

Thanks Andy, it was aimed at anyone really, I knew you had a Surgeon action but thought it went into a Manners. Not that it matters what the stock is!

Anyway that's the answer I wanted to hear, strange about the bolt angle, I will have to check that one up again.

Guest northernchris

Ian

Regarding the bolt angle,i have just built up a stick useing a S/A Surgen into a Wilddog thumbhole stock and i had to add clearance to the stock in the bolt handle cut out as the angle is slighty different.Just got to get the air brush out and touch it back in.

surgen308001.jpg

surgen308003.jpg

surgen308004.jpg

Cheers Chris

Ian (Vermincinerator) agreed

the Rem is swept back a little, but the angle where the bolt cuts into the stock is essentially the same, the Rem handle sweeps back beyond the stock side.

At least on the 4 Rems 700's I have here.

Most stocks require minor fettling to make a 100% fit as Chris has done.

If you want, I can take side by side pics so you can see the differences Ian (Elwood) - no problem.

Ian (Vermincinerator) agreed

If you want, I can take side by side pics so you can see the differences Ian (Elwood) - no problem.

No worries Andy, you say it can be done, therefore as far as I'm concerned it can (but not by me:0)

And thanks Chris for the pictures, so long as it can be done then everything is hunky dorey

Ian (Elwood)

here are some pics of side by side comparison bettween the Surgeon and a S/A Rem 700 I am working on.

The Rem is black, the Surgeon's in the white :lol:

Plan view of bolt angles - they are the same: notice the Surgeon has a larger diameter handle which is why some stocks need a bit opened up - as in Chris's case so that the bolt closes in the action safely.

_ASC0074.jpg

Plan view of top of both actions - excuse the pinkies :lol: my usual flash is away being refurbed so I had to take these outside in ambient light:

Notice that while the Rem bolt "rakes" rearwards, the bolt handle is straight for a short section, this short piece is where it goes through the stock inlet.

_ASC0075.jpg

Plan view of OAL length of actions - Surgeon is 1/4" longer due to integral recoil lug (and has extra threads for barrel union too)

_ASC0077.jpg

RHS view of ejection port, note swept back bolt of Rem - this doesn't affect the stock inlet if a Surgeon is used - all stocks need minor "fettling" for perfect fit.

_ASC0078.jpg

LHS view showing bolt release on Surgeon - this area will require inletting (just a short rebate really)

_ASC0079.jpg

Plan view of bottom of actions - they are essentially the same.

_ASC0082.jpg

Bolts and bolt handles

_ASC0081.jpg

I have a couple of A5's here that I could show you with the actions seated, but as I have yet to extend the inlet to acommodate the Surgeon all that would show is that the inlet requires "opening" to get the Surgeon fitted properly.

Hope that clarifies things mate.

I,ve just finished my own Ian, and the bolt slot needed deepening to allow it to drop fully, and this point is vital.If it bottoms out on the stock, and not the action, accuracy will more than likely suffer.

Mine, and one i,ve almost finished for a friend, dropped straight into a mcmillan a5, recoil lug too.

We took some pics of it today, i will post them later.

The surgeon is indeed longer, but the recoil lug on the remmy would bring it up to the same length, more or less, hence the action dropping into most stocks, as they usually have a bit of leeway

here,s a couple of pics of one i,ve just done for my shooting buddy, Ross. Its already been christened..."the Gherkin" cos its long and green.

rosss20rifle20004.jpg

rosss20rifle20003.jpg

here,s a couple of pics of one i,ve just done for my shooting buddy, Ross. Its already been christened..."the Gherkin" cos its long and green.

rosss20rifle20004.jpg

rosss20rifle20003.jpg

Is that the one that I tried telling Sheila was the Howa I'd come to look at? If it is, I stroked it ;):D:wub: More than once ;)

Read this post with great interest . I have just ordered a new rifle from SYSS. Surgeon action, McMillan A5 22-250AI. All ready drooling, and i have months to wait. But no rush, Baldie. ;)

p.s the late posting time's because im'e stuck in canada on holiday ;)

Hey Dave - you been in my head getting ideas for the perfect long range tac rifle ;):D:D

That looks good.

My "twins" will be very similar :wub::D

In a "little and large" kind of way......

Just a thought if anyone is considering a build on a Surgeon XL and are thinking about stocks.

Have you seen the Terry Cross "thumbholes" that are being made by Mcmillan - well thought out.......... ;)

rosss20rifle20004.jpg

rosss20rifle20003.jpg

In the immortal words of Mr J Clarkson, I'm nursing a semi ;)

Andy, those Terry Cross stocks do look something special, I'm going to send him an email and try and get on a list of some sort.

Had I not a A5 sat in my workshop inletted for the XL, that would be the way I would be looking or at one of the aluminium chassis that is being produced across the water.

Just awaitin the barrel for the 338 ;)

hi fella's just a quick question to ronin,baldie,northen chris or anybody building on a surgeon what sort of mounts are you using

i will be putting my nightforce nsx on the new rifle just some thoughts please

p.s just a thought but could i use the talley rings i allready have less the bases cheers b.b

TPS, Badger are first choices for me - I will be using 34mm scope.

There is one drawback to using a nightforce on a surgeon.I found out the other day, that they dont have enough adjustment, to go low enough to get a 100 yards zero. The mount needs shimming by at leasy 6 thousands of an inch. this amount will allow a 100 yards zero, but only just, so a 10 thou shim would be a far better bet, as it would bring the scope adjustment "off bottom". I decided to stick my schmidt on my surgeon, because it has more adjustment, but a piece of 10 thou shim steel wont take any sorting.This is a fault of the nightforce, as they notoriously have a low adjustment range.

Archived