Parker Hale Perfection

ChrisF

Hi Guys ,

Just took out my favourite Parker Hale rifle the M85 , mine has had the barrel cut off level with the front iron sight , so it could be threaded for a suppressor , its running a SS MAE muzzle can , and a Leupold M3 10x .

Here is a 3 shot group , done to check the 100yd zero , the squares are 1 inche , aiming point is the bottom LH corner of the square .

post-8385-0-43714900-1459224660_thumb.jpg

post-8385-0-59349200-1459224682_thumb.jpg

post-8385-0-52695200-1459224697_thumb.jpg

Yeap ,

I love mine , sometimes I forget just how good they really are , the scopes I have on these , the MST-100 & less so the M3 10x , are not as user friendly as the more modern sniper scopes , like my PMIIs etc , but thats not a fault of the rifles , its just that these rifles came out when 1 inche & 26mm scopes where the norm , as such the mounting rings/bases are not designed for the 30-34mm larger tubed scoeps that came much later .

Just need to figure a way of maybe putting a S&B PMII , maybe the smaller 42mm lens jobbie on her ? , I would like to see a trend to slightly smaller sniper scopes , that would be perfect for the older sniper rifles & also perfect for lite weight sniper biulds etc , so the not only fit right but look right in size etc to the rifle .

I just need to build a M82/C3 rifle and I will have the SET , Nice .

Cheers Chris

The M85 has a McMillan fibreglass stock with desert pattern molded into it , McMillan call this stock the McHale , I think the 1st 50 M85 rifles had wood stocks the rest after that had McMillan fibreglass stocks it a variteity of colours and patterns , most where solid green , or USMC colour camo , ie lite green , dark green & brown .

The M87 I believe was aimed more at the Police market and I think it was only made with the wood stock shown .

Give you 100 quid for the crappy old MST100? No? Ok.....Had to try ;)

Absolute beauties.

The M87 , I brought a long time ago from the UK , it was in .243 & looked basically almost unfired , I was told at the time it was from the Police , it looked like it had been put away and forgotten about .

The good old days , I paid 395 pounds for her and only 30-40 pounds to have her shipped to me in NZ , thru ' Royal Mail ' , a short time after Royal Mail stopped shipping rifles overseas , a shame as they where CHEAP .

• 7 months later...

HI Guys ,

The only 2 items I am thinking of up grading are the can & glass , as the rifle is nice and small & tirm , I have been after replacing the value for money all SS MAE can with a lighter QD can .

I was waiting on ODL to make a Tan ratchet locking 762 can , they have told me its done , so I look forward to mounting that on the M85 when its gets to me .

RE : , I want some thing smaller than a S&B 4-16x50mm PMII , more in the size of the M1 MK4 thats on her at the moment , what do you guys thik would be suitable , bearing in mind , I want small & tirm , and it to look right on the rifle .

I am thinking of March ?

Later Chris

This was a '98 action wasn't it. Just shows how good they could be.

David.

More accurately, a '98 bolt. P-H bought the bolts in from the former Spanish government armoury at La Corunna (recently shut down) and basically built the M84, M85, and M87 actions around them. The receivers are way heavier and stiffer than standard 98s or those on run of the mill P-H sporters. The M84 was used on the late model P-H single-shot TR rifles and the M87 appears to be a magazine fed adaptation for military & police use. (It may also be longer as it was designed from scratch to handle both 308 based rounds and the .300 Win Mag.) As I was told it, the M85 was designed as a standalone ultimate M98 type action for the British Army military sniper contract (and if successful there, the inevitable follow-on orders from other armies) and although looking like the M84/87 has many unique features including a much longer barrel-holding tenon to produce a very rigid action to barrel joint.

PS NICE pics ChrisF. Re the MacHale stocks, I worked for a gun dealer some years ago which did a lot of police business and it bought all the non-registrable parts of some 14 or 15 M85s from a police force that was upgrading to AIs. Many forces simply ignored HO rules on disposing of surplus firearms and sold their PSSs and Ruger M77s to the UK gun trade, but this one went by the rules banning sales to civilians, so I presume the barreled actions were destroyed. Everything else down to swivels, screws, small iron sight bits were stripped off and came to the dealer including a right variety of factory stocks. This included three or four of the 'Arctic warfare' pattern - moulded in black, white and dark blue camo', really attractive. The stocks were all sold on to Norman Clark in Rugby who was (and still is) the biggest holder of P-H bits around, but I'm sure have long since gone. I was (and remain) enraged by this vandalism on HMG orders - these rifles were already collectors items and an irreplaceable part of our industrial heritage. Moreover, since neither the Police nor HMG earn any money, they were OUR rifles - bought with taxpayers' money.

YES ,

Not all was wasted , I actually brought a black glass M85 stock , bolt & trigger etc from a guy in Scotland that was given 4-5 M85s to destory , as payment they let him have all the bits except the action/receiver .

And yes a very rare nice rifle , and they should NOT have been destoryed , Criminal in my view .

Just got the brake & can ,

The brake specs are 74 grams , & the can is 170 grams , & 38.2 x 187mm off the website , thats a combined weight of 244 grams .

Actual weight of my one is 74.99 + 168.06 = 243.05 grams .

This SS brake & TI can .

Pics later .

Archived