Norrena recon jacket

Offroad Gary

I've been using one for about 5yrs. It was secondhand but seemed in good condition. At first it soaked through in really heavy downpours. I contacted Norrona and they advised washing it in goretex friendly stuff and reproofing.

That was 4yr ago, it hasn't leaked since and I haven't rewashed nor reproofed it. It's a well-designed and well constructed jacket. Doesn't saturate or hold water (now).

Cons- it's not the quietest of fabrics: I don't stalk in mine, though you probably could. Some of the pockets are mesh; I understand the idea behind this but I find this material very snag-prone.

For what I paid, I'm very happy but the new price is high!

I've been using one for about 5yrs. It was secondhand but seemed in good condition. At first it soaked through in really heavy downpours. I contacted Norrona and they advised washing it in goretex friendly stuff and reproofing.

That was 4yr ago, it hasn't leaked since and I haven't rewashed nor reproofed it. It's a well-designed and well constructed jacket. Doesn't saturate or hold water (now).

Cons- it's not the quietest of fabrics: I don't stalk in mine, though you probably could. Some of the pockets are mesh; I understand the idea behind this but I find this material very snag-prone.

For what I paid, I'm very happy but the new price is high!

An understatement , £549 !!!

An understatement , £549 !!!

Indeed. They are tough (mine is showing no major signs of wear) and well-fitting for positional shooting...

IMG_7671.jpg

86d01efe-50c9-4f6e-90db-8f0d0be8a69f.jpg

...but £549 !?

Indeed. They are tough (mine is showing no major signs of wear) and well-fitting for positional shooting...

...but £549 !?

Its nice to have the best kit but how far should we go ? shooting from the passenger window of the climate controlled Vogue :)

Looking at the spec it's a goretex pro which is a tough hard shell . It's an outer layer that's only protects from wind and rain so what you use under then suits the season your in .

The price is what you're going to pay for the best hard shells out there but there are lots that use goretex pro for a third of that money .

Not sure why they've put cross over pockets on what they class as a hunting jacket .

Goretex needs to be washed and then DWR applied as dirt stops it from breathing and then your perspiration can't get out .

OSOK

Looking at the spec it's a goretex pro which is a tough hard shell . It's an outer layer that's only protects from wind and rain so what you use under then suits the season your in .

The price is what you're going to pay for the best hard shells out there but there are lots that use goretex pro for a third of that money .

Not sure why they've put cross over pockets on what they class as a hunting jacket .

Goretex needs to be washed and then DWR applied as dirt stops it from breathing and then your perspiration can't get out .

OSOK

OSOK, what alternatives do you know of please.

Most of the normal brands do a hard shell in goretex pro , Berghaus , Mountain Equipment , Montane etc and there is always one thats a 50% off at sometime of the year such as Go Outdoors , outside.co.uk , Berfreunde etc .

Think of a hard shell as an expensive pack-a-mack but one that lets moisture out without letting rain in . The thing to remember is the hard shell is only one part of a 'layering system' , ideally there is a base layer in merino wool which will absorb moisture and won't smell then a light wind top or soft shell for when a long sleeve base layer is not enough but its not cold as such . Insulation layer wants to be hooded but light in Coreloft or similar but avoid down filled and then your hard shell . Four layers that weigh nothing and fold up into their own pockets in some cases that you keep in your rucksack for whatever the weather does or doesn't do .

The above can differ if most of your time in spent standing or sitting without generating heat on the move alot then i'd go for a thicker insulated layer say from 80/100g Coreloft to 140g plus , these options are all out there and they do add up but there is nothing worst than being cold & wet or having to take a heavy jacket off because your too hot and then get a chill .

If you stalk alot then hard shells can be noisy to move in and remember that most of the bodies weak spots where heat is lost and quickens the effect of you feeling cold are Neck , Head , wrists & ankles .

Going back to the jacket you spoke of , It looks a nice bit of kit and unlike most of this light gear thats origins are mountain climbing based its in green which can appeal to shooters .

Hope this helps

OSOK

Most of the normal brands do a hard shell in goretex pro , Berghaus , Mountain Equipment , Montane etc and there is always one thats a 50% off at sometime of the year such as Go Outdoors , outside.co.uk , Berfreunde etc .

Think of a hard shell as an expensive pack-a-mack but one that lets moisture out without letting rain in . The thing to remember is the hard shell is only one part of a 'layering system' , ideally there is a base layer in merino wool which will absorb moisture and won't smell then a light wind top or soft shell for when a long sleeve base layer is not enough but its not cold as such . Insulation layer wants to be hooded but light in Coreloft or similar but avoid down filled and then your hard shell . Four layers that weigh nothing and fold up into their own pockets in some cases that you keep in your rucksack for whatever the weather does or doesn't do .

The above can differ if most of your time in spent standing or sitting without generating heat on the move alot then i'd go for a thicker insulated layer say from 80/100g Coreloft to 140g plus , these options are all out there and they do add up but there is nothing worst than being cold & wet or having to take a heavy jacket off because your too hot and then get a chill .

If you stalk alot then hard shells can be noisy to move in and remember that most of the bodies weak spots where heat is lost and quickens the effect of you feeling cold are Neck , Head , wrists & ankles .

Going back to the jacket you spoke of , It looks a nice bit of kit and unlike most of this light gear thats origins are mountain climbing based its in green which can appeal to shooters .

Hope this helps

OSOK

OSOK, why do you recommend avoiding down fill for insulation layer? I always thought it was one of the best. I've always been one of the big heavy coat brigade and just learning the benefits of a layered system!

Down is one of the best for warm / weight ratio but it doesn't keep you warm once wet unlike the synthetics . I also think it takes more effort to look after and i don't like the odd feather keep sticking out .

It drys alot slower than Coreloft or Primaloft .

I'm sure there are experts who can give for's and against for both but these are just my opinions and what's important to me .

Go down the route of the layering system as you wont regret it , you'll get the balance wrong as i have and buy the odd item thats too much or too little for the layer your looking for and you'll carry something you don't need that day but knowing you've got it in case is worth it .

OSOK

Archived