Calculate muzzle velocity without a chronograph

Guys,

I'm shooting 50gr hornady v-max from my blaser r93 222. I'm using 22.5grains of N133 and seating to factory spec.

All the ballistic programs require me to enter muzzle velocity but how do i get this without splashing $$$ on a chronograph that i'm likely to use once or twice in it's lifetime?

Thanks for any tips in advance.

phillips321

P.s. Is there anywhere that rents out a chronograph for a week at a time?

Well if someone local to you may have one you can use, or some kind soul on here could put the data into quickload to get a calculated approx figure, but always best to chrono.

Alan

Shoot at 100 yards, then shoot at 200 yards. Note the drop. Take an approximate velocity from data source and manipulate it up or down until the drop in the ballistic program roughly matches what you actually got. That will be your velocity. Before I had a chrono I had a book called "Tables of Bullet Performance". I would use this book by scouring the drops under a given caliber until i found numbers that matched. I would then get the BC, velocity, and other drop data. Time consuming but remarkably accurate.~Andrew

2nd what andrew says , but if you can shoot out to the distance that your going to shoot too and confirm the real field data/drop . Thats pretty critical . Atb

hi this web site might be able to help you with your velocity if you register on it you can make range cards

www.gseven.com I think your velocity could be around 3150fps but that will get you started, think your BC could be 0.242?

there is a velocity correction on it that will correct it to your true velocity then you will be able to print and create a drop chart that suits your needs.

hope this helps

Allan

Archived