Scope for .17hmr for use with night vision Add On

MossyNW

I'm looking at a Hawke Vantage 4-16x50AO designed for HMR which has pre calculated aim points for 2550fps. £149 approx new. It's only for vermin (including night time Golf Course) not target. And it can take a NV add on. Yes, I'm getting an add on not a dedicated scope, maybe a Starlight product. I have 2 air rifles also used at night for ratting so I can transfer the add on.

I post this topic to invite suggestions please in case I am being too simplistic in choice of the Vantage.

Hi with night vision, range finding tends to go out the window unless you have an inbuilt lrf like the pulsar 870 so the flat shooting trajectory of the hmr will help at the expense of noise. With an add on nv unit the day scope can be brought forward an inch or so with reach forward mounts to help accommodate the nv unit without compromising the day scope setup. Gen 2+ add ons and better will give you the range for hmr with a decent illuminator and compatible scope. I've not used the scope you mention or archer nv btw.

Its worth while mentioning that some dsa's will not fit larger diameter scope eyepieces and some add on units are longer than others. I shoot on a golf course and use a mix of add on and dedicated units for air and powder rifles.

Never heard of a Vantage, but I use a Hawk sidewinder and a mtc mamba lite for rabbiting with an add on.

I'd be surprised if the pre calculated hold overs work properly. For rimmy / air rifle NV work stuffs usually fairly close anyway so I find it easier just to hold over a little for longer shots.

Thanks guys, what add on tackle do you use? I also have a .22lr which I can also use.

Ward D700 is the best of the bunch http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/ward-d-vision-700-digital-night-vision-c2x14686536

The Starlight product seems to have bombed.

Cheers

Bruce

I'm using a night spirit from nvgear, and my mate uses a cobra Titan.Using either a T20 ir or a dipol laser for illumination. Scopes are a mix of bushnell trophy,leupold vx3 and ags swat used. Dedicated digi used photon or drone pro.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at a Hawke Vantage 4-16x50AO designed for HMR which has pre calculated aim points for 2550fps. £149 approx new. It's only for vermin (including night time Golf Course) not target. And it can take a NV add on. Yes, I'm getting an add on not a dedicated scope, maybe a Starlight product. I have 2 air rifles also used at night for ratting so I can transfer the add on.

I post this topic to invite suggestions please in case I am being too simplistic in choice of the Vantage.

Hi Mossy,

The 4-15x50AO should be fine for .22 and .17 ranges. The Ward D Vision 700 will easily get out as far as you need with either the B20 or B501 IR illuminator.

Don't worry too much about it being an AO scope. I generally set my focus to my zero range and leave it alone, i.e. 65 yards for .22 or 100 yards for the .17

Then you have a reference point of perfect focus at a known distance to help with range estimation.

Cheers

Clive

Dedicated NV scope is better , fit a decent Picatinny rail , buy a Photon , use Leupold quick release mounts , job done ,Leupold rings hold zero very well when changing back and forth.

Hawke or MTC work very well with digital night vision add ons, I have Hawkes on my .22 rimfire and .22 K Hornet, an MTC Mamba on the .243 all used with a NT300 add on and T67 IR torch. 300 yards usable shooting range on all the scopes, If i had to choose one of the scopes to have an edge i would say the MTC just edges it, as a higher magnification can be used, thats why its on the .243. But whichever scope you choose, i would advise getting one with a side focus, much easier to adjust in the dark.

Adrian

Archived