you cant change the scope height, I just fiddled the bc/velocity to match my drops at the ranges I was likely to be shooting at and need to be the most accurate. eg, I've set mine so that it matches at 450m and gets less accurate the further away from that distance you are, so it might be 1 click off at 100m and at 600m, but it doesn't really matter (cuz I don't shoot stuff that close or that far away!). to be absolutely precise I use distance and drop chart, not the in built app.

This kind of issue-we get dozens here ( the ballistic app doesn't agree with real distance shots)-is addressed by Bryan LItz in a new series of 'online instructional videos' from his Applied Ballistics company.

The first deals with velocity uncertainty,and how to fix. Even if that isn't your issue it is so good that the general principles transfer to other issues,and there just is no better explainer than Bryan Litz-at the end you'll think you knew it all anyhow....:-)

At the very least,it makes clear why the mismatch occurs (it's not quite rubbish in,rubbish out;and the EU is never mentioned :-) It only takes a few minutes. Good stuff.

gbal

The Bino/LRF itself gets rave reviews.

Shame their ballistic app has such a fundamental flaw in it. I suspect (but have not tested) that it is good enough for normal hunting scenarios, which I suspect was Leica's focus.

The fact that they have produced such a quality laser for long range use and this has been picked up on by long range shooters has probably caught them unawares. Worth pointing this out to them and asking when they will be updating their ballistics app !?

Another manufacturer with a mismatch in their technology offerings. Shame it promises a lot but does not quite deliver

The lrf works to 1500m or so but the ballistic app wont give you click values past 600ish, i guess some people have different abilities than others...

I've never found it an issue and i dont mind the odd long'un!

The lrf works to 1500m or so but the ballistic app wont give you click values past 600ish, i guess some people have different abilities than others...

Not sure why but when I got mine it only gave drops out to 800 yard now it gives them out to 1000!

Thanks Gary, chanonry good info will play

As for gbal where do I start what's Bryan got to do with this topic not interested not relertive to this topic

Sorry BH,it's your thread and I take your point-as my PM,I had just read the news of the first of Bryan Litz Applied Ballistics weekly videos - this one "Calibrating at the range". As I said,it isn't about Leicas. I should have started a new thread-I only wanted to bring it to the attention of anyone who has similar issues with a ballistic app program and real shooting results that don't quite fit. We get quite a few.

I can see why it didn't help you,so is indeed relertive. but hopefully no real harm done?

gbal

I've just had a play with it again to refresh my memory! Have your drop chart handy, set it up with all known parameters then pick 2 distances, i chose 450 and 600m. I changed the velocity to tune the 450 drop, and then changed the bc to tune the 600 drop. I'm within a cm or 2 all the way out past extended hunting ranges.

It's a bit disappointing to hear there are issues with the new HD B's.

I'd been considering a pair of these, for near on 2 K, I like most individuals would expect a fully functional product, not one that has sever limitations for the long range shooter.

Almost surprised Leica would release a faulty product.

Exactly :D I liked the look of it, have an older Geovid already so thought of upgrading.

I would then have a better (more reliable) laser for long stuff and a good enough ballistic solution for up the hill in one bit of kit, no bits of paper or remember ing data etc etc. In the end I didn't go for it as it is still a big unit. I had thought it was a bit smaller than the previous model just from the photo's

I've just had a play with it again to refresh my memory! Have your drop chart handy, set it up with all known parameters then pick 2 distances, i chose 450 and 600m. I changed the velocity to tune the 450 drop, and then changed the bc to tune the 600 drop. I'm within a cm or 2 all the way out past extended hunting ranges.

This sounds like a fudge that will end in disaster :wacko: The velocity is what is and BC's in most cases are best left alone . If the above works within two known distances then your going to be out at other distances .

The error your finding is elsewhere and if your unable to get on target without having to put the wrong velocity and BC at the distances you've stated then your program doesn't work !

Sorry

OSOK

Almost surprised Leica would release a faulty product.

It's not "faulty", I just think it was designed to be part of their hunting range and the ballistics app/solution is good enough for that.

Its just the laser is almost too good, and therefore we have latched on and want to use the ballistics app for a purpose that it was not designed for.

This sounds like a fudge that will end in disaster :wacko: The velocity is what is and BC's in most cases are best left alone . If the above works within two known distances then your going to be out at other distances .

The error your finding is elsewhere and if your unable to get on target without having to put the wrong velocity and BC at the distances you've stated then your program doesn't work !

Sorry

OSOK

As i said, works for me at normal hunting ranges. Only issue i have is that i now carry a thermal, plus the leicas its a lot of kit to carry. But i did shoot 15 deer in 2 outings so it cant be that bad!

I have been interested in the new Leica binos for a while, can the laser just be used for straight line of sight measurements and to find the angle without bothering with the ballistic app?

Yep

Will tell you range, horizontal distance, angle, pressure, temp and clicks (if you want, you should memorise that anyway!)

I've been looking at these but now having second thoughts. What is the default setting for,the scope height?

5cm

Why dont you have a play with the software, see if yuo can get it to match your drops

I've been looking at these but now having second thoughts. What is the default setting for,the scope height?

Default is 1.9685in, then also don't take into account spin drift, windage or coriolis effect but will get you very close. At Bisley yesterday I tested mine at 600 yards and they were spot on.

Archived