Wild Boar calibre - what ??

David Hancock

I have an opportunity to shoot boar - and put a suitable calibre on my ticket.

Advice please - HO guidance on minimum calibre is .270 with differing instructions as to minimum bullet weight - from 130gn / 150gn to 160gn

I do not reload - and frankly at boar range I am not going to be seeking 5 hole screamers.

The rifle will also serve for occasional fox (OALQ) and deer.

Advice on calibre please.

David,this very topic was done a few weks ago-worth a look back-not much could be added; 30 cal,and heavy bullets are a minimum (a 308 would just about do-and have other uses).

The European experts opt for 9.3x64 or 9.3x74R doubles-plenty knock down and fast back up shot.Makes lotsa sense,given the nature of mature driven wild boar shooting.

gbal

Rather a strange answer ref the 9.3 as in my experience, three or four trips each winter since 2000, I have found that the most 9.3's are owned by UK visitors.

Most of the local people I have met in Czech Republic, Lithuania, Croatia, Poland, Germany and Hungary have settled for 7 x 64 or 6.5 with the occasional 30-06.

All have also used 12 or 16 bore with slugs and in some countries, or rather areas in some countries where it is allowed, LG or SSG.

I have also seen PPU 180gn used in 30-06 and .308 calibre rifles.

I personally used a .308 for several years with 150gn or 180gn soft point ammo to good effect.

There was a time before that when I had a 12/7x57r but that was only because it was when I first joined the odd driven boar shoot in Germany back in the early seventies, I got rid of that just before I returned to UK and settled for the good old .308 until recently.

I have since gone over to the 30-06 because I can now use 150gn bullets on UK Deer and foxes and 180/220gn bullets on wild Boar.

• 3 months later...

Archived