DSC1 - Help

David Hancock

I'm finally signing up to undertake my DSC1. Essex. June. Primarily to get the Qualification and better my knowledge, though deer is not my focus.

I would be grateful if there is anyone localish who could advise the ins and outs. Happy to pay for any costs / pie and a pint.

Many thanks.

David

Save you the cost of a pint.

If deer isn't your focus its a bit deer intensive !

I did the theory online and rocked up for the final day which had a summary of the course, the theory test/s, safety/practical tests and shooting tests.

Lots of theory about deer species, behaviour, diseases recognition etc. Firearms and Deer law in all countries of GB - some pretty damn obscure detail required ! Not sure I have ever had to remember what a 17 year old in Northern Ireland can and can't do, but you will know in June.

Meat hygiene regulations are covered to give you the Trained Hunter cert.

Stalking skills, taking the shot, safe shot, approaching shot deer, recovering a wounded deer, humane dispatch etc etc. Online was a good way to do it as you can just hit the questions and retest until you are happy you understand it. The Deer Initiative Best Practice Guide would be an excellent resource to get stuck into as well. Basically it is DSC1

Theory test is 50 multiple choice I think from 300+ questions that you can get your hands on before hand.

Deer recognition test - ha ha excellent value. Look out for the sneaky one slipped in to trip you up. Mine was a blurred picture of a roe buck dashing over a ride but without antlers. Otherwise it was pretty straightforward as you would expect. This is about understanding what the deer species and sex look like so you can tie it back to the theory about what you can and can't shoot on any particular day.

Practical test was all about not doing something stupid re Quads/ATV, Knives, Guns, Shooting deer in the haunch, safe shot, crap in the barrel etc. Kind of a real version of the theory. Wandered about the place having a chat with the guy, pretty informal, you get a bit of a steer if the question is a bit obtuse. So mix of testing and coaching.

Shooting test - well I did the highland version (none of this balancing on sticks crap). The first part was a zero test. 3 shots into a 2"x1" (was it bigger?) bit of paper - prone. Allowed two goes at this and then you are binned. We were then shown the aiming point on a target (Sika Hind photo) and then had to shoot 3 shots (think) from prone and another 3 from sitting. Had to be in a 10" circle from the aiming point. So not exactly tough. As with all the course this was a mix of test and helpful tips. I think you get 3 attempts before you are failed.

Great course in that it gives a good grounding in deer and the game hygiene stuff; the practical stuff is ok - it just puts you in a 'real' situation and lets you see the difference between safe and not; the shooting felt like more of a test but that may have been in my head - the fact you get a few attempts allows them to give you a bit of help with your technique if you need it.

My take on it was that they would help you through the theory and practical stuff almost to the point of not failing anyone (big highlander could not identify a huge deer with bloody great antlers and a red coat (FFS) - he needed that to pass the theory, after 10 minutes the instructor was almost at the point of writing it on the paper himself !) BUT they don't want people going out and wounding deer so if you don't get to the shooting standard then you will have to shoot again on another day.

I am sure there are people on here who take them but that is the students view

Have fun

I did mine a few years ago at the Essex Shooting School with BASC, I think it was 2 days in the classroom and then one day on the range.

Nobody failed and it really wasn't that hard for anybody with half a brain, the shooting test is easy

Hi David, done mine with BASC the course was over 3/4 days and was at thornwood Essex just outside Epping , great course we'll run before course had little knowledge about deer stalking and deer in general , but that was years ago and have shoot and processed many deer since, good course to do , enjoy.

All the Q`s for DSC1 are here http://www.dmq.org.uk/download.htm, not that difficult but you need 80% to pass , a few fail first time but you get 3 chances over 3 years , failures are usually on recognition or the shooting test which is ridiculously easy , make sure your bang stick is set up before you go.

I don't see any point parting with £300 if you are not going stalking unless its to get an open ticket?

Certain stalking forums (the Gestapo wont let me mention them here) are run by a very odd bunch , you`ll soon work out what I`m on about.

Thats a pint ;)

Archived