sako 75 varmint laminate stainless

Elliott

Never had or used a Sako 75 in any form or calibre. But having said that, I've read and listened to lots of opinions on them from owners. And I've yet to hear anything bad said about them in any form... The Tikka is also a very good rifle, (As you well know) and I own one to. And again I've yet to hear anything bad about there ability, bar a few minor issues, where people do not like the odd plastic part.

Both are clearly great rifles, and you only live once, so hay! Go treat yourself! :)

The Sako 75 is generally well thought-of and the III action (.308, 243, etc.) would make a good donor action for a nice semi-custom.

I have a .308 Varmint Stainless Laminate and love it. Got silver in McQueens at Phoenix one year (up til then it had been known as "the Finnish-factory-clunker" by my custom-wielding club mates!)

I rather like .243 but bear-in-mind the barrel-life isn't particularly generous if (like mine) it's been used in "tactical" comps.

What are you wanting from this Sako rifle that the T3 doesn't give you?

Something a bit different for foxes and long range stuff. My 223 is a 1/12 twist so I'm restricted to sub 55grn bullets at the moment.

The Sako was a rather heavy beast when I handled it, what with the heavy laminate stock. Certainly something I'd need to be happy carrying about

Just found and bought a Sako 75 VLS in 22PPC,,,,gonna relive some very very happy memories,,,,,,,,,will be a keeper this time round and maybe rebarrel into a 6mm when she,s tired,,,,,,,,,,,O

I've had a couple of rifles in 22ppc, one of the best Varminting rounds ever developed.

Just found and bought a Sako 75 VLS in 22PPC,,,,gonna relive some very very happy memories,,,,,,,,,will be a keeper this time round and maybe rebarrel into a 6mm when she,s tired,,,,,,,,,,,O

Quite agree Dave!!!

After shooting your one in 6PPC , i just had to get on in 6PPC too!!! ( absolute belter and very accurate too - done me alright in my first ever F-Class match too , and there it was getting me into the 500yd club o oh so many memories :D ).................

Sako defo has the edge on Tikka, build quality, very smooth action, 243 good calibre, if its what you want then do the deal I dont think you will regret it.

I have only one Sako 75 action but its nowhere near as smooth as my Tikka actions, the bolt fit is nowhere near as good with just way too much slop.

The finish of the Sako is excellent and I really like the double stack mag once I got it to feed properly but overall I dont think the action is any better than my Tikka in terms of function even if it does win on looks. Dont get me wrong, the Sako 75 is a nice action and I would happily have another, I was just expecting a step up in class over my Tikka, hand on heart I dont think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 308 varmint and sold my 223 to gbal; who puts it on a rest and promptly shoots a .25" 5 shot group. Damn, should have charged more.

Both plain walnut not laminated.

Nowt wrong wi it.

Shot everything up to Reds with it. I have carried it up the mountains after hinds. Sure it is a bit on the heavy side for the big hills for some folks tastes, but when you get to the shooting it will do the job as far out as you want to go with a 308 and for as many as you can get.

I went Sako rather than Tikka as you cannot get a Tikka varmint with a wooden stock and I was not prepared to buy an aftermarket stock for the Tikka. Other benefits of the Sako are that there are no plastic bits that will break, and the double stack magazine is hard to beat. The action is not as slick as their reputation would suggest.

I regret not getting the laminated stock.

Personal preference, but I would not have a tikka without factoring in several replacement parts (tempting though, as they have better calibre selections) and I don't think the 85 is an improvement in anything other than manufacturing costs.

Thought about lots of other things to replace it, but its still here 'cos it gets the job done on the range and the hill.

I suppose the rifle is a bit like the 308 itself, not particularly ideal for any one thing but makes a damn good fist of lots of things.

Archived