Subsonic .308

JDBenelliM1

I'm thinking about changing the barrel on my TRG to a short, fast twist 1 in 8 as I'd really like to run subsonic loads as well as heavier super sonic bullets.

Does anyone run a fast twist .308? Any advice welcome pros/cons

I would like to shoot sub 2" groups at 200y with subs...am I going to be disappointed?!

I have no idea what's realistic with subs.

Ive had a great 4 weeks shooting vermin around our poultry sheds with the .243 as the flock was out. Now the new hens are in I'm very frustrated as there's still a lot of shooting to do. The ground is open with very little cover and it's just pushing the .22lr a bit far.

Single 1/2" raggy hole grouping at 25m with a .308 Steyr SSG-04 using 4.9gr of Viht N310, a 115gr "Soupcan" cast boolit at 980fps. Same with the 300aac Blackout Handi Rifle using the same boolit with 3.7gr or the 165gr RNFP from Shell House Bullets and 3.4gr. I tried some 168gr Nosler Custom Competition at 100yds using 9gr of TrailBoss but they wouldn't stabilise.

JDB,

If you are dead set on running a sub sonic 308 give Steve Bowers a call.

A couple of years back I was at his place and in conversation subs came up. He showed me a rifle he had built for a customer and accuracy results. The 100 yard accuracy was two rows of small gorups spaced about 6-7" difference between the top row ('normal' 308 loads) and the bottom (sub-sonic). From memory the two bullets involved were 125g BT's and the 210g Lapua sub sonic bullets. The secret in the subsonic accuracy was making sure the cases were batched and picking a powder that is not sensative to being loose in the case.

Re. twist rate, do not think the normal rules apply, but talk to Steve.

Brgds Terry

I've not done it, so know nothing about the accuracy potential, but apparently you can get a subsonic load out of a .243 with Trail Boss: https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-Reduced-Loads%20R_P.pdf

Or your current .308 of course. Why not give it a go as it is for a low cost try out?

I presume the chance of ricochet is higher with any subsonic loading, and we are talking about quite heavy bullets, that could put me off a bit.

Yes its no great bother with trailboss but poor expansion and ricochet need careful consideration. I use 30-30 flat nose 150's in mine, nice and short with thin jackets. Thats a standard 308 with a 12" twist. If you

Plan to go long range with heavies you need a faster twist

You'd only really need a 1:8 if shooting 240 SMKs or similar.

If you were t shoot 220s or Lapuas 200n subsonic bullet, you could get away with a 1:10

A couple of years ago I ended up with a barrel and suppressor from Steve Bowers that he'd done for Bruce Potts and one of his friends that was in a .338 that was necked up from 6BR.

Quite a little round, and I had several chats with Steve about building it, which I did on a trued Remington action

By all accounts it was both very quiet and very accurate

The new owner was certainly happy

null_zpseaf82102.jpg

null_zpsda161d63.jpg

I believe the secret to getting good performance out of a subsonic

.308 is to use some kind of filler

I was thinking about a 300 whisper/blackout upper for my AR but the TRG isn't getting used as much as I'd like so thought about turning it into a dual purpose rifle. Its a 1 in 13 twist ATM so don't think I'll have much success with it as it is.

I'll give Steve a call to see what the best route would be.

You'd only really need a 1:8 if shooting 240 SMKs or similar.

If you were t shoot 220s or Lapuas 200n subsonic bullet, you could get away with a 1:10

A couple of years ago I ended up with a barrel and suppressor from Steve Bowers that he'd done for Bruce Potts and one of his friends that was in a .338 that was necked up from 6BR.

Quite a little round, and I had several chats with Steve about building it, which I did on a trued Remington action

By all accounts it was both very quiet and very accurate

The new owner was certainly happy

null_zpseaf82102.jpg

null_zpsda161d63.jpg

I believe the secret to getting good performance out of a subsonic

.308 is to use some kind of filler

Looks like a fun tool. Bet it would send magpies arse over tit

Sounds like you need a 300 Whisper not a .308!

But you then cannot (legally!) shoot deer when the cartridge is wound up again to sonic speeds?

T

Sounds like you need a 300 Whisper not a .308!

But you then cannot use the 308 in the TRG to it's full potential or (legally!) shoot deer when the cartridge is wound up again to sonic speeds?

T

Archived