Factory WSMs and brass life.

Raifuru

My 270 WSM absolutely kills brass. All virgin brass cycles beautifully, but when it comes to FL resize them after firing, in some cases the cases will not enter the die at all. So much so that virtually none will work with my arbour dies. I have 3 FL dies for the cases and all suffer from the same problem. I took this as an issue with my gun, but at the range on Sunday there were two other WSM users (one 300 and one 270) and both mentioned similar issues. I actually fancy a 300 WSM for informal use at the range and possibly a bit of stalking. My concern is that I will end up with another brass killing machine.

Is the WSM prone to brass becomming oversized in factory chambers? I have used Norma and Winchester brass and Winchester is more prone, but I still get 5 or 6 cases I cant use out of 100 reloads. After 3 firings all brass is dead and I would expect annealing would be required. I have had to drill two stuck cases out of 2 different dies so far.

I load for and shoot a .300WSM Tikka T3 SV and don't have any problems with brass life, or it stretching unduly, as is to be expected it expanded to the chamber on the first firing but no more so than would be expected in another calibre - still sizeable with a F/L die.

Using Winchester brass and Reload Swiss RS62 and 155gr bullets it shoots well and brass is good for 5 or so firings before it becomes stiff, that said it is normally only neck sized as there is no need to full length size it as I see it, never had a problem chambering neck sized any brass in our rifle.

Are you maybe using a particularly stout load, or have an oddly sized chamber - sounds like the brass is either very hard or an abnormally large diameter.

Laurie Holland can best explain this one - but basically the large diameter case means less steel around the chamber, so the chamber expands a little on firing and the brass take a hit - making it difficult to re-size.

With a chunky custom action - like a BAT M for example - no problem.

I have a Sako 75 in 270WSM, which originally had a factory barrel on and now has a custom one, in over 1000 rounds I have never had one piece of brass I can't resize, I have used Norma, Win and Federal.

Some of my brass was on 6 or 7 firings before I changed the barrel and was still perfectly usable.

I had a factory Howa 7wsm which ran fine and resized without issu. Admittedly I never pushed it hard as I thought it unnecessary it being a 7wsm. .....

Archived