17 hmr rebarrel

banus02

good evening does any one have a sensible idea if a 17hmr can be rebarrelling in anything other than 17 hmr, not .22lr 22wmr or the other short 17 round I think the odds are against me on this there is another rim fire round Winchester super magnum rimfire I think but not seen any in the uk don't even know if the ammo is in the uk.any ideas

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/17winrimfire001.jpg

I suppose if the base is the same , then the bolt can be used and the barrel either changed or if possible rechambered

No. It isn't and it can't.. The rim diameter is closer to .323" which makes it closer to the old 5mm Remington Rimfire magnum, and operating pressures are around 30,000 PSI: significantly higher than the 17HMR, 22WMR, etc.~Andrew

As Andrew's post- the 17WSM is a different beast...brass is based on the Rem .27 nail gun case,and ammo is loaded to 33,000 psi (cf 22WMR is 24,000 psi). Rifle choice is very limited.(eg Savage,Ruger in US).

Claimed performance is correspondingly well up on any other rf, maybe as claimed 20g@3000 fps ( cf 17HMR 20g@ 2375fps,or 22 WRM 30g@2200 ) ....BUT then you perhaps would be better served with a reloadable and rather more established 17 (Hornady) Hornet (25g @ 3200).And which is available...in limited rifle choice!

gbal

I spoke to the Winchester rep at the British Shooting Show in February about the 17WSM, and he said there were no plans to sell it in the UK.

It appears that none of the European gun makers want to chamber rifle for it because their existing rimfire actions would not be able to handle the pressure generated by the cartridge and they don't want to spend money developing an action just for a single cartridge.

The Savage B Mag which was developed im conjunction with Winchester specifically for the 17WSMis, by all accounts, pretty dreadful.

I believe that Ruger now have a rifle in 17WSM and if that's a success, then more manufacturers might get on the bandwagon

Cheers

Bruce

Convert it to a nail gun , less worry about bullets being jammed up the spout :)

True that!

I have shot the Winchester 17 and it was a huge disappointment. Initially i wanted to shoot it because I was going to rebarrel a Savage action to 5mm Remington Mag but after handling the action i scrapped the idea. In the process, however, I shot a box of the 17. The speeds were around 2650 with a ES of over 100 fps according to the owner's chronograph and 50M accuracy wasn't anything to write home to Mom about. I think the new 17 is a dead issue for all the same reasons the 5mm didn't pan out: It just doesn't fit current actions. Redesign and retooling a production line are very expensive propositions.~Andrew

Archived