Stabilizing and twist

Elwood

A nice easy one for you chaps. Will a 1-12 twist .22 cal stabilize a 64 grain match bullet? the bullet in question is a Berger 64 grain match, I'm told that as it's a flat base bullet the 1-12 twist should stabilize it.

1 in 12 is what Berger recommend for the .22 64gr, here is the link.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/

Go to Products, then Hunting Bullets.

A

Alycidon, that link is what made me ask the question. From what I read it seems that some bullet manufactures are a little bit economical with the correct figures, BC etc.

Edi, sound promising if you were doing ok with a 1-14 twist, may I ask what you consider to be OK ?

1-12" should do it no probs.

Bullet manufacturers twist rates are generally pretty accurate to the nearest inch. It is now possable to fine tune twists, some manufacturers can rifling to 3 or 4 decimal places, ie 12.125 so given enough money they could fine tune and it may be worth a call to the bullet manufacturer to ask. Most bullets are put through standard barrels though, they are rifled to the nearest inch or so hence the suitability on bullet manufacturers sites.

As for BCs, there is a formula to work that out I think, a bit too advanced for me though but some of the more switched on guys may be able to help.

A

I shot scores of Sika in Ireland in the old days when .22cfs only were permitted. I used the 60 grain Hornady and 63 grain Sierra bullets with a Tikka Continental .22/250 rifle which had a 1 in 12 twist barrel.

It was very accurate with these but it did not like the 70 grain Semi-spitzer Speer bullet.

HWH.

Edi, sound promising if you were doing ok with a 1-14 twist, may I ask what you consider to be OK ?

Only loaded 6 to find a deer load, two 3/4" 3 shot groups. Thought that would have potential to explore.

Load was: 35gr Varget and ccibr. Rifle had a plastic stock on at that time and didn't shoot much better anyway.

Plan is to make an ultra light sika rifle for the longer walks, or moderated close to farms.

edi

Well Guys, in Richard Lees book he refers to the .222 Rem and states 2718 Fps with 22 gr of Varget [starting load] and

2935 Fps with 24 gr of Varget [max] , both with the 63 gr bullet.

For the .223 he states 2992 Fps with 24.5 gr Varget [starting load] and 3199 Fps with 26.4 gr Varget [compressed charge max.], again with the 63 gr bullet.

He has loads up to 70 gr bullet weight for the .222 and up to 80 gr for the .223

HWH.

Elwood,

you might struggle if you intend to launch the bullets out of a .222" or a .223".

In both these chamberings you need the 12 twist to stabilize 50-55grn bulets due to the lower velocity compared to say a 22-250.

Ian.

Ian, I will be using the 22 BR so I should be ok velocity wise. I'm trying to get a round range legal, sub 3280 fps. I have ordered some Berger 64 grain match heads, I will post my findings as and when and if I find them :o

Thanks for all your replies.

I have shot these heads through my 1/12 Walther barrelled RPA and they made superb little onehole groups at 100m but not done any further distance with them so cant speak for performance beyond that range.cheers Onehole.

Well it's safe to say they stabilized nicely, thanks all

64M2.jpg

64M1.jpg

Due to the velocity being to high to use at Bisley I will have to use the Reloader 15 load, unless of course I play around with getting the N135 load to shoot slower.

Archived