Short Sako Actions

Big Al

Guys,

Can you help me clear this one up?

Im looking to buy one of the shorter Sako c/f actions. I think they were produced for .17 Rem, .222 & .223 calibers. Can anyone tell me if the L461 Vixen, A1/L461 and S491 all essentially based around the same small action, If not then what are the differences?

I would like to build a small caliber c/f and would like to avoid building it on the bigger Rem 700/Tikka platforms if possible, I saw a guy with an A1 recently and it looked a really nice small compact rifle.

One of the problems with the older ones is the availability of after market bits, rails stocks etc is virtually non existent, the situation improves when you get to a 75 and gets even better for the current 85 model.

I have a 20 Tac built on an Action 1 75 with a 20" barrel and I love it, it is my favorite rifle by far

The l461 is a lovely little action. Compact and scaled to perfection. The A1 is a little less so but still very petite. The s491 is a hog in comparison. As far as I can recall it used the same profile as the 591/691 but was a shortened version. That said it is very very stiff so some good accuracy potential. I had a .20tac on a 491 action and it shot silly little groups.

If I was going to build a classic walnut stocked stalker then then 491 or A1. If going for a storming truck gun then a 491 and it won't cost a deal for the action either.

All three have great triggers.

G

Archived