I own a pair of the original geovids , bought them second hand 2 years ago .Recently though Im just not getting solid readings past 500m like I used to.I have ping the target a couple of times or sometimes I just fail to get a reading.New Batteries , lenes cleaned but still the same problem.Iv no warrenty either !Any one ever own a pair or hear of this or even hear of anyone returning lrf to leica for a non warrenty service ?

yep I think you gotta get em serviced, my friend had the same problem, he bought em, s hand and leica sorted them out for free worth a email to them dave.

Really , he had the same type problem, any chance he still has the email addy of his point of contact he dealt with.I had googled their email address but if he had an address for a person he dealt with that would be great.

My heart sank this evening when they wouldnt work

The US agents were excellent to deal with. The objective lens caps are a weak point in the design of the originals and the tethering straps on these eventually fail. The US agents simply sent replt's no questions asked when my US buddy rang them, didn't need any proof of purchase

sorry the lads dead and buried now, I think they were the original leic,s geovid,s

Jesus sorry to hear that. thanks for the replys

At the risk of sounding a bit naive, have you tried a new battery?

The CR2 battery will have often have enough power to display LCD's but won't always power up complete system managements. I'm thinking cameras here but believe it can effect other things as well.

ya I even bought 2 different brands just in case! its simply not wanting to range stuff beyond 3-400 meters.Im talking buildings forestry ect, Iv ranged deer at 800 and forestry/trees past 1100 before

I've returned my Geovids twice for the problem you describe. Came back fully funtional, no charge each time.

Thanks Roe, did you have a warrenty card or did leica look for proof of purchase as I bought mine second hand?Was it a long turnaround time?

• 4 weeks later...

Guys I just wanted to make a post to highlight the way I was treated by leica .Here is a summary of what happened.
just over a year ago I bought a set of leica 10*42 geovid laser binos second hand.The guy had lost his warrenty card but They were immaculate,worked perfect and were a good price so I bought them even though I had no warrenty,they were allready a year old at this stage.a couple months ago I noticed they were not ranging as well in bright conditions at longer range,then all of a sudden they were struggling to range past 600m.I put this down to needing a battery,I changed the battery but things got worse, suddenly I was struggling to range past 300m.these binos used to range deer and rocks past 1000m with no probs.
I emailed leica in germany and the following morning received an email back with a shipping label for UPS to ship it to Leica in germany for free! A week later I got an email saying they would repair the binos for free,no questions asked ,just straight up we will fix them FOR FREE!! today just over 3 weeks since they left me I received a box back ,when I opened it I was stunned.,inside was a brand spanking new set of binos with a letter stating a replacement swapping my binos for a new set.I have emailed them and thanked them again for such brilliant customer care.
Just thought Id share this with you guys,Iv owned other Leica lasers and thought they were all top notch,this was the first time I had a problem with something from them and I honestly was ****ting it at the thought of an expensive repair cost as these are an expensive item.To say Im stunned at the way Leica just straight up said send them to us(for free) and we will sort it (without a mention of asking for my warrenty card/number ect) is an understatement.Great to see a company treating customers like this.

I think they all have learned a lesson from Swarovski...great to hear of an excellent outcome nonetheless!

Best wishes

Finman

Archived